rahuljain257
Newly Registered

Hibiscus need your help !!!

Hello I have a hibiscus plant & suddenly the leaves of the plant shrinking itself so I need your help what happened to my plant. Look @ the leaves of the plant they are shrinking so guys need your help.

So please help my plant

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, to start with that is a very tiny pot for such a large plant.

And it does not look like you have been watering it enough - the soil is so dry and compacted it has pulled away from the sides of the pot.

I would repot into a container about three times the size of the one you have. Fill it with good loose potting soil, not too heavy on the peat moss. It might help to add some extra perlite or coarse sand to your potting mix, to help keep it loose and free draining. After you have filled the pot (before your plant is in it), water thoroughly to be sure all the soil is moistened. It will probably sink/settle in that process. Fill it up again and water again, then plant your shrub in it.

Then don't let it dry out that much again and fertilize regularly.

imafan26
Mod

I agree, the dirt is contracted so it will need a good soak just to get the rootball thoroughly wet.

It needs a bigger pot. Probaby 3-5 gallons at this point. I don't like dirt in pots. It makes the pots heavy and you have this problem of compaction, contraction and uneven watering. Watering contracted soil makes the water just flow around the root ball and out the drain hole leaving the rootball hard and dry.
Potting soil would be better in a pot or if you are relatively frost free, the ground would be better.

rahuljain257
Newly Registered

Thanks... Beside that blank ants eat my flower. What should I do for that

imafan26
Mod

Ant bait. Outdoor terro works on sweet ants. The ants may be farming aphids, scale, or mealy bugs. A stressed plant will make them a prime target. Check the leaves and stems. Most of the soft bodied pests can be controlled with either insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. Since the plant is in a pot, I would dip the top in a 5 gallon bucket of either the oil or soap solution for a few minutes, it gets much better coverage than spraying.

applestar
Mod

I found out by accident that if you put a bit of borax (or boric acid I suppose) in a finished uncleaned container of sweetened yogurt (really sickeningly sweet ones like Yoplait) and set it down on its side along their trail, ants go crazy trying to get to it and very quickly manage to poison themselves and their colony.

WARNING -- Obviously keep it out of reach of small children and pets. You could always put it inside of a box or a can or something with opening cut out for the ants, etc.

imafan26
Mod

Good tip about the yogurt. I have some old yogurt in the fridge so I might try that. I tried peanut butter, but apparently my ants are not grease eating. I put some peanut butter on a chopstick and stuck it in the middle of a swarm of ants and they just avoided it. Most ant baits' main ingredient is boric acid. Boric acid used to be cheap at the pharmacy sold as eye wash, but when it is labeled as a pesticide the price is double. 20 mule teams borax also works and a box lasts a long long time.

Return to “Rose Forum”