Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

How to Care for Golden Showers Climbing Rose Plant?

I bought a 5 gallon potted rose a few weeks ago called Golden Showers. It's a climbing rose with yellow blossoms that are medium sized. It is one that does well around here and seems to bloom all summer long which is why I chose it. I planted it on the south side of the house.

I wondered if any of you rose experts have any advice on how I should care for it, any special treatment it should get? I've never grown a rose bush before!

imafan26
Mod

If the rose is a climber, you will need a trellis, it is not a bush rose. Climbers are vigorous but they like to sprawl so you need to give them something sturdy to climb and they will need to be pruned regularly. Although they are called climbing roses they are more like tomatoes than cucumbers. They do not naturally climb. They will need to be tied to the trellis and they do have thorns so it is best to do it when the canes are young.

I have a mini rose that I bought in a 3 inch pot with small red roses that are great for corsages and haku leis. It is a sprawler and the canes go out 20 ft and when it touches the ground it roots. It climbs over and through everything in its' path. It is extremely hardy it has very little pest and disease problems.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

thanks Imafan, have a trellis ready to go.

Googled golden showers, didn't know what you meant Peter! I had no idea. :eek:

This is what the rose can look like. Not mine, just an internet image.
golden showers.jpg
golden showers.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 25028 times

imafan26
Mod

Roses do well on arbors, but it is best that is not be an arbor you go pass often. When it is in bloom the bees will be all over it early in the morining and in the afternoon. While roses look great in bloom, They will not be in bloom all of the time.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

There's a thought. Much as I love them, I don't want to be walking under and around bees all the time!

Peter1142
Green Thumb

That is a very pretty if unfortunately named rose. :)

The bees won't hurt you.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yeah, the bees won't hurt you if you just leave them alone and let them 'bee'.

michelle103
Newly Registered

You should checkout this climbing roses care guide https://www.tree2mydoor.com/blog/2017/0 ... are-guide/ from Tree 2 My door. It has some really great advice for all round taking care of your plants such as pruning and training them.

Good luck!

Return to “Rose Forum”