ejwilkins86
Newly Registered

At a Loss With Mini Rose Bush- Help Appreciated!!!!

Hi, I received a mini rose bush as a gift about 3 weeks ago. I live in upstate New York and obviously I can't bring it outside yet, so it is inside next to a sliding glass door. Many leaves turned yellow and fell off, as well as the buds (which never opened) although the soil was soaked. So I didn't water it for a few days, and the soil completely dried out. I noticed small bugs and sprayed it with soapy water as a coworker suggested. However, the leaves were developing holes and black spots, (I found out later this was probably black spot) so I pruned off the dead looking stuff and transplanted it to a larger pot (it was root bound). I added fertilizer with an insecticide in it, and it started looking much healthier. (New growth appearing, not wilting, ect). However, it's been about a week in its new home and the leaves are beginning to dry out, curl, and appear like paper, but they are not yellow and the soil is still moist up to my second knuckle on my finger. Also, some of the healthier leaves have yellow around the outsides of the leaves. Much of the new growth dies almost instantly. It's probably obvious to say that it hasn't produced anything close to a bud since I've had it. I am at a complete loss with this, I don't want it to die but I don't know what to do! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Ejwilkens,

I find the mini roses difficult to care for, especially indoors. It does sound like it's too wet. The symptoms of overwatering and not enough water are often the same. Take a look at these sites for care of these roses.
https://www.yoder.com/grower/potroses/tips/06238_ts1.pdf
https://www.ars.org/About_Roses/miniatures_indoors.html

For black spot you can make a spray with baking soda. Be sure to dispose of all diseased leaves.
https://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html

Newt

ejwilkins86
Newly Registered

Thanks for the information. I'm confused about the overwatering though, I haven't watered it in about a week and the soil is still moist-how can it be overwatered? Could the pot size affect this? (It's in a fairly large pot). If this is the case, should I transplant it again? I'm afraid of stressing it.

The black spot has since went away, thankfully.

I agree, it is hard to care for this thing, and everything I've read has said that!! Especially since this is the first "real" plant I've had to care for (everything else I've had requires just watering once a week)

Thanks again

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome!
I'm confused about the overwatering though, I haven't watered it in about a week and the soil is still moist-how can it be overwatered? Could the pot size affect this? (It's in a fairly large pot).
Overwatering can occur if the soil stays too wet, the plant sits in water in the saucer for more then 15 minutes or so or if a plant is watered too often. Potting a plant in a pot that is too big for the rootball can also lead to the soil staying too wet. Generally a pot that is 2" larger is best.

If your pot is too large, you might want to repot it in an appropriate sized pot. You might even consider teasing out the roots if it was severely rootbound. You should find these sites helpful.
https://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm
https://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=70

Newt

ejwilkins86
Newly Registered

Thank you again for the help. I'm afraid to transplant my mini because it looks like if you breathe on it the leaves will fall off (but they are still green). I noticed some white crystal like stuff on the bottom of one of the canes- is this mold?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I'm just going to make one comment about growing plants indoor:

Plants are designed to grow outdoors and all temperate plants need to have a dormant period or they will not be healthy. It sounds to me like your rose may have been kept outside and brought indoors once you recieved it.

Yes, spring and fall are the best time to plant various plants but, when you recieve a plant as a gift be sure to ask if it was kept outdoors at the nursery that it was bought from. Even if it wasn't you can harden your plant off if temperatures aren't to low.

I think it would be a good idea to leave your rose indoors for the remainder of the winter now but, buy a grow light so that it recieves sufficient light and don't keep it near a window. (I mean on a sil)

ejwilkins86
Newly Registered

Thanks for your advice. My plant was bought at a grocery store which I know is a terrible place to buy a plant from, but the person who got it for me, and myself, both know virtually nothing about plants, so at the time it seemed liked a good idea! If it lives, I do plan on bringing it outside in the spring.

Newt
Greener Thumb

ejwilkins86 wrote:Thank you again for the help. I'm afraid to transplant my mini because it looks like if you breathe on it the leaves will fall off (but they are still green). I noticed some white crystal like stuff on the bottom of one of the canes- is this mold?
If a plant needs repotting and you don't do it, it will begin to suffer and drop leaves and the growth will eventually be stunted. Stressed plants are more prone to pests and diseases. Take a look at the drain holes in the botton of the pot to see if you see the roots. If so, it's rootbound and will need a pot that is 2" larger. If you need sites on how to repot a plant just let me know.

The white crystals could be crystalized synthetic fertilizer that was uses. Sooty mold is black. Powdery mildew is white or gray in color and is usually found on the leaves.

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Diluted milk as a foliar spray is great for ridding your plant of powdery mildew.

What it does is feed the flora and fauna on your plant and they eat the pathogen. Aerated compost tea works as well but, milk is easier to come buy.

Use it on a regular basis as a preventative method. Don't use synthetic fertilzers or pesticides.

If you have an insect infestation of any of your plants: Neem Oil seems to do the trick. But, don't use it more than 3 times a week.

Return to “Rose Forum”