Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Starting Roses From Rose Hips

Hi All,

I have a question for you. I have read in several articles not to let the rose hips shrivel and dry because the seeds will die. They say to take them out of the hips and then store the seeds in a cool dry place but only temporarily then start to stratify them. What do you guys suggest? Should they be alright to store them when they are dry or should I start them right away?

Thanks! :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Once upon a time I started out trying to grow rose hips. I dried them and planted them in a germinating pan under cover in a heated space.

About May I discovered that they needed a cool moist place in order to germinate. I set them outdoors on the back of a bench.

In spring of year two a few woke up and germinated. I knocked the remainder of soil and seeds out into the front of a garden bed.

Spring of year three every remaining rose seed germinated.

Thereafter I took seeds straight from the hip. I put them direct into pots with a plank to keep out vermin. Rose wakes up just fine after a winters slumber out of doors. Frost cold snow & sleet are water on a ducks back.

Drying and coddling rose seed only slows or kills germination. Read up on cold stratification.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thanks Tom! I think I will put them outside like you did over winter and see what happens in the Spring! :)

Kim

Return to “Rose Forum”