grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Cold Zone Rose Grower - New to Forum

Hello all! I am in Northern BC, Canada, Zone 3b-4. I have been growing roses myself for eighteen years here with winters of 40 below, and short summers. My grandfather was a longtime rosarian here - began growing them in 1940, and I learned alot right alongside him. He is gone now, and I have carried on, and still have many of his bushes that I moved to my own garden. I have over 76 varieties now, and keep on adding.
I have learned many tricks to cold weather rose gardening, and rarely lose a rose now, so feel free to use me as a resource if you like. I enjoy sharing ideas and helping new gardeners out.
Looking forward to sharing!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Nice to have you. Quesnel is a gorgeous part of the province. I've done a lot of fishing and nature walks at Charlotte and Nimpo Lakes. A friend of mine has a cabin on Charlotte Lake.

Look forward to hearing about roses.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Howdy Grandpa! Welcome to the zoo!

Have you tried 'Knockout' yet? Is it really as hardy as they claim?

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yes, Quesnel is indeed beautiful. I was born here, and have lived here most of my life with a few short periods elsewhere - long enough to discover that I really like it here!
I have gone ice fishing at Nimpo lake several times ice fishing with my father several years ago, but not recently, but have never been to Charlotte Lake.
We have a cabin on Quesnel Lake that we spend alot of time at - when we're not in the garden!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi HG! I have not tried Knock Out yet, and do not know anyone who has, so cannot help you out on that one. The shrub roses I have are all in the Morden, Explorer, Grootendorst groups. As well as Bonica of course. Other than those, I have mostly tea and floribundas, with a few grandifloras mixed in. Over the last few years I have been trying to build my tea rose collection as I am trying to carry on my grandfather's tradition of giving rose bouquets to all he meets - his doctor, dentist, banker, grocer, etc. He was known in our city as the "Roseman", and strangers would stop at his fence when he was in his garden to ask if they could have one of his roses.
My mother says that I have alot more luck wintering them over than he did, but I am not sure why, I know that I do a few things differently, like the tarp, and deeper mulch, and I plant quite a bit deeper than he did. He tried to stick to the way the books said as much as he could, where I like to experiment!

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

I just bought a "knockout" and so far am not so incredibly impressed. Then again, I haven't been entirely fair, it has rained in the evenings and so I have some black spot to control.

However, I also have a Chihuly, in the same conditions, and not a single black spot or other problem. It has grown immensely in the last couple months and is very, very healthy.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sorry (but not suprised) to hear about the black spot, but it won't kill 'Knock Out', just make it a tad unsightly...

'Chihuly' sounds like a wonder rose if it's dodging black spot in your neck of the woods, Grey...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”