Verae

Growing rose from a bouquet of roses

I received some roses from my Son in Law. I discarded them one at a time when they deteriorated. On the last rose I saw that the branches seemed to grow so I cut that part off before discarding the rest. I added dirt to a container placed the little branch cut sideways on the dirt and covered it with potting soil. It now sits on my balcony with morning sun which later on moves away but it is still warm or hot out there. It looks to me like they are growing. I also fished one part of the stem out of the compost because it seemed to have buds so I put those in a glass jar and every day the buds get bigger.
Now I wonder if I will have a new rose bush?? Any ideas?
Thanks, Vera
Attachments
Rose cuttings.JPG

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

You might, but that depends on the type of rose and variety. With old line varieties what you get will be pretty much what you started with, however some roses are hybrid in such a way that what you get may look nothing like the original. The way you are starting this rose is not uncommon, except for the timing. Years ago, my husband pruned 2 roses and planted properly cut sections along a 250' drive out in the country and within a couple of years he had a drive completely lined with healthy thriving roses fully in bloom. The biggest question now is will they form good enough roots to survive the winter.

Verae

I have them on my balcony under the overhang of the roof and when it gets too cold I shall bring them in the house. If a different rose appears it does not matter to me, just as long as it grows. I have never done anything like this before and am looking forward to the results. Just for fun.

applestar
Mod

Keep us updated with your progress! I'm very interested. :D

Have you read this sticky thread? You may find helpful ideas. I might try some day.... 8)
:arrow: Subject: Help with growing roses from cuttings?

Verae

Yes I read that thread. Very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Verae

Sorry to say my experiment ended in failure. The cuttings died eventually. Maybe the next time.

Return to “Rose Forum”