lakesRus84

Successfuly Propagated Roses but... Now What?

So, I collected several cuttings from my parents rose bushes, back several weeks ago, on one of my random "spring fever whims"... I wasn't actually expecting to successfuly propagate them, but by golly if I didn't wind up with 4, rooted rose bushes!!! Well... I wouldn't call em' "bushes" yet I guess.... but hey, they're roses, and they have roots!
- My question is: What now? What do I do with them? Continue growing them in their little container? And if so, for how long do I do that? And if I'm supposed to just go ahead and plant their bad lil selves right away, then what kind of care should follow their transplant into the ground? Like I said .. right now, they're just 4, very tiny little "rose branches" with roots.... lol! And so cute they are! As a brand new gardener, I have to say, I'm pretty darn proud of myself!
Thanks in advance, to all who contribute their advice and knowledge :) *Erika*

imafan26
Mod

Congratulations. 100% wow. My percentage is a lot lower. shrub roses 70%, Tea roses 0%

applestar
Mod

That's a great start! :D

I think this is actually the critical point. At "several weeks" they are still subject to many failures. Quite often, my cuttings will root and new leaf buds will start to unfold... Then they shrivel up and die. :(

Just the right amount of humidity, soil moisture in a very well draining soil mix, and sufficient warmth, I think, are the critical elements.

Be sure to read this Sticky thread at the top of the Rose Forum. There are quite a bit of good information in there :wink: :arrow: Subject: Help with growing roses from cuttings?

applestar
Mod

Re-reading that sticky thread, I realized you did read it and posted to it :lol:

I will have to more than skim, but I distinctly remember the member posting about using tub with aquarium heater heated water in it saying he keeps them covered with plastic tent in 1/2 gallon or gallon sized nursery container. OK. Let me go look and pull some links.

oop no need, really it was on the first page. (It was a 5 GAL pot after the cut off soda bottle.)

Subject: Help with growing roses from cuttings?
dbang10 wrote:You might want to try a method that I came up with. Image
Here you will see the cuttings in a clear storage container that is filled with water and a fish tank heater that you can get at walmat for ten bucks. I built the platform that the cups of water and cuttings can rest on so they don't float on top of the water. The water is 80 degrees and provide a humid environment. Image
Here you will see the prep for the cuttings. I remove the last leave at the bottom to expose the bud eye for the hormone and I remove the thorns as well because sometimes the roots grow from the thorns. I place the cuttings in the cups of water for two weeks with the lid on and I place the container under a tree so it gets speckled sun. During the winter direct sun. It shouldnt get any hotter than 90 inside. So use your judgement. After two to three weeks I gentle remove the hormone with water and then put it back in a clean cup of water for another two to three weeks. At this point you will see this on the stem. Image Another two weeks you will see this. Image Once the roots have grown this long I plant them in a container like this. Image Place back in the humid environment. Once the roots reach the bottom, water it and slide it out and plant it in a 5 gallon pot and place a tomato cage in and place a clear bag over the top in winter, semi opaque white bag in summer. Tie it shut at the bottom with some speaker wire or rope. Cut a small quarter size holeat the topto water it once a week. Image when observing the progress always expose the plant at night when it is cool never during the day. In about two months you will have a three foot plant. When you expose it to the air permanently, remove the bag at night and place it in a cool shady area for two or three days. Then you can expose it to the sun.

lakesRus84

Awesome information/advice here! I have no idea what specific kind of roses love propagated, and probably never will, but none the less id say they must be a "tough kind".... they survived my hand! :)

Return to “Rose Forum”