gohootergo
Newly Registered

White Spots and Leaves Dying before turning yellow?

This is the same bush as I had mentioned a few weeks ago, which was a bare root hybrid tea rose with canes that were dying, so I had pruned them down to healthy new growth. Everything had seemed fine for a week or two, but now this morning I noticed that where are some white spots on some of the leaves, and a few leaves looked like they were just dying (curling up and just drying out).

I've been watering every other day, and we've had some light rain over the last week. (I didn't water on days there were heavy rains).

The only other thing is I fed the entire garden with Miracle Grow Bloom Booster, which has a NPK of 15-30-15 about a week ago.

When I water, I usually water early in the morning around 8 AM, and no later than 3 PM (only on sunny days), and I only water the base of the plants to avoid getting the leaves wet.

Thoughts?

Attached a picture of the bush.
Attachments
0519151603.jpg

kfelton0002

From my research because my grandmother's knockout rose has the same problem, I have found that this is a fungal infestation of the leaves. It is sometimes mistaken for insects because the fungus turns the leaves yellow/white in spots and eventually eats a hole right through the spots. It will defoliate a rose bush, as it is doing to my grandmothers. I treated hers with Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 Rose and Flower care as it is a fungicide, insecticide, and a fertilizer. One way or another I am confident it will help the problem. I used it on my knockouts with heavy blackspot and their new growth is fungus free. I also use fungicide spray too called Daconil and it works well.

kfelton0002

Also the browning/curling leaves is probably fertilizer burn. I used miracle grow on my roses earlier in the spring, the water soluble not the shake and feed, and it burned my roses up. I don't like water soluble fertilizers. Use slower release fertilizers (Bayer Advanced, Osmacote, etc). We live and learn. I have had a time with my roses this year. I have battled fertilizer burn, blackspot, hard pruning (massacre) to treat blackspot, and bugs. All of my roses are bouncing back beautifully.

kfelton0002

Oh and I forgot to mention, to treat the fungus you have to remove all infected foliage to best treat it. Burn the infected foliage or dispose of it in your garbage. Do not use in compost piles or it could infect your roses in the future.

Return to “Rose Forum”