igirl
Newly Registered

Rose tree sprouts bigger than the tree!

I have a couple of lolipop shaped decorative rose trees installed by a landscaper on a new home build 6 months ago here in California. The trees are about 6' high.

One of the trees has spouted two branches (together) growing out of it's side to over 8' high, while the other has spouted several extra trunks out of the ground, each growing over 8' high.

Just cutting them off seems simple enough, but I would like to know if it might be possible to plant the cuttings to make extra trees since these things are huge and doing well? Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance for input!

JPIXI

Hello igirl,

Multipying by cutting is easy but you cannot expect the growth to be as vigorous as grafred roses.Give the cutting a good dip in propogation hormones and a constant watch on the humidity and check for fungus you should ok.

Have fun.

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi igirl!
A further comment to JPIXI's.
If these are grafted roses, and the new shoots are coming out from below the graft (the big ball), it is not likely that they will ever become the roses that you have now.
Most grafted roses have been grafted onto a hardy rootstock, often not even related to roses, and the shoots will be from that stock, and they will never bloom.
Another hint to identify if this is a good rose shoot or not, is that most shoots that are "suckers" have seven leaflets to each bract. If this is the case, they are just taking energy from your plant, and should be removed. Given the rate of growth you have described, I suspect this is the case, because for some reason, suckers grow much faster and healthier than the rose.
Another tip to starting new trees is to use new growth with a stem that is about the same diameter as a pencil. Also, late spring is the usually the best time to do this, as all of the plant's energy is in those tips to grow.

Good Luck with your attempts - it's cool to start your own little plants! :wink:
Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are in excellant hands here igigirl, Val and JPIXI are to very accomplished experts in the field of Roses.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Thanks Opa! Glad to hear your confidence! :wink:
Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome

Return to “Rose Forum”