kricket0912
Newly Registered

Look what popped up through my rose bush! :)

I'm new to this Forum but I'm becoming a regular with roses :) They seem to be the only thing I get get to grow. haha I'm still learning the different types of roses, there's so many kinds.
I was deadheading my big ol' rose bush and I noticed pink buds coming right up through the middle. I don't know what kind of rose it is, it's full of thorns! It's pretty though. Just wanted to share. It was a nice surprise and I've had this rose bush for a few years and just recently saw this new one hanging out. I was considering cutting it off before it started showing buds because it stuck so far up above the bush, I'm glad I didn't :D :-() Have a great day! oh, anyone know what kind of rose it is? I wonder how it got there, because I definitely didn't plant it, but it's welcome to stay for sure.
Attachments
11150575_10206881789109512_3561380985273407815_n.jpg
11188273_10206881788429495_2786025150007840656_n.jpg

applestar
Mod

It looks like your lively dark red one is a hybrid tea cultivar. Trace down the pink one and make sure it/they are not growing from the base of the red one.

Usually, rose that is not the planted one is growing from the root stock (hybrid teas are always grafted). Typically, I get dark maroon single with yellow center. If this pink one is a sucker from the to it stock, it's a nice one -- maybe some kind of a shrub rose.

If it is indeed suckering from the root stock, you will probably have to sacrifice it because it is obviously more vigorous than the hybrid tea and will steal all the nutrients and water.

kricket0912
Newly Registered

Cool! I didn't know that! :) I'll look it to see if it's growing from the base, I don't want it to steal any nutrients from the planted one, I am kind of attached to this rose bush especially. Thank you for the info, I learned something new today.

imafan26
Mod

At least yours bloomed. I did not realize that my HT rose died because it still produced long stems. They got up over 6 ft but never bloomed. I think I have another one because I have a rose coming out from the ground that is getting very tall but not blooming and it is not one I planted.

kricket0912
Newly Registered

Okay, I went and tracked it down and in the photo, it's the one farthest to the right, the one closest to the base grew about a foot and a half and bloomed the same red roses as the big bush has. What would you recommend? it's okay or cut it? :) Thanks! :mrgreen: I'm so proud of my red rose bush, the base is like a tree! hehe Never had anything grow so well for me. Usually I could kill a cactus but roses seem to be my thing. I live in South Carolina on 10 acres and our dirt is rich and dark, so that probably is what's helping me out. Winters aren't so bad, it's just bugs I have to watch out for because it doesn't get too cold often.
Attachments
11167791_10206882209720027_620198684829769674_n.jpg

kfelton0002

It may be too late for my reply as you've probably already cut the suckers to the ground, but next time they come up take the cuttings and try to root them in some course sand or potting soil mix to see if they will root. If the host stock rose is vigorous enough to grow suckers from the root it will probably root well from cuttings. Just a thought. You can make a mini greenhouse with a clear plastic tub from walmart or even a large zip lock bag (just make sure the plastic doesn't touch the cutting) and just mist your cuttings daily. I keep mine under a small plant light for warmth and I've already had luck with some hydrangeas so far. The roses are taking a little longer but I'm being patient. I use rooting hormone, you can find it also at walmart or lowes, home depot, etc. Soak cuttings in water for a few hours to hydrate them. Prepare the cutting by cutting about an inch below a bud eye and wound the bark on both sides below the bud eye. Make sure your cutting has at least one set of leaves (at least 2 leaves) for photosynthesis. Dip in rooting hormone and poke a hole in your moist not soggy potting soil, sand, whatever then insert your cutting and firm down the medium around the cutting. Keep them in your little "greenhouse" for a month or two in an area where they can get indirect filtered sunlight and they should root. I have become addicted to plant propagation using this method but you can tweek it or find a method you like better on the net. There is a sticky on this thread that has a lot of good info too.

Return to “Rose Forum”