Punkinteens
Newly Registered

Ameteur Gardner

Hello everyone I'm Punkinteens and I live in Piedmont, S.C. and I'm new to this forum and I just recently got a miniature rose bush for Valentines Day this year so Ive only had it a couple of weeks and I don't know anything about to keep them alive .I want to learn but I am completely clueless . So far my rose buds are wilting and dying off and I've had to prune all except two . I need help on how to take care of my plant by getting a step by step instruction or plan of what I need to do to keep it alive and also a list of what I need to buy as well to help take care of it . I know I'm asking for a lot but if someone wouldn't mind helping me I'm all ears . Thanks sincerely a Clueless Gardner

imafan26
Mod

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you just bought the rose, are you planning on keeping it in a container or putting it in the ground.

In a container it needs to be watered more frequently. If the rose drooped, I think you waited too long between watering.
Roses will need to be watered before they wilt. Right now at this time of the year I only have to water my potted roses every three days. I will need to water them daily in a pot during the summer.

Water at the base of the rose and avoid wetting the leaves especially close to sundown.

Roses are heavy feeders and I would use Miracle grow for acid loving plants every two weeks or a granular fertilizer once every six weeks.

To keep roses blooming they should be pruned after every bloom cycle. Use very clean tools. Tools should be cleaned of sap after every use. I use purple power degreaser. It is sold in the automotive department. If you use it just after you do any pruning it will clean off sap easily. Make sure your tools are sharp. The rosarians here always spray their pruners with alcohol before pruning their roses and spray again between roses to prevent disease transmission.

When the weather is humid, roses will need to sprayed with a preventive fungicide every week as long as humid conditions persist. Otherwise you will have problems with powdery mildew and blackspot.

Keep roses under a light between 6 p.m.-10 p.m., it will cut down on the rose beetle damage.

Garlic, alliums, alyssum can be underplanted in the rose to help attract beneficial insects.

Roses should be pruned in a vase shape. Cut the cane back above a 5 leaf outward facing node. The top nodes will have only three leaves on a branch. Prune off any deadwood or weak branches or any branches that are growing toward the center of the rose.

Roses in containers should be repotted every couple of years.

Roses will require some winterizing later in the year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What imafan described is ideal, but in my experience miniature rosebushes are much more forgiving than full sized ones and can survive on less care. I don't grow regular roses, because they do require all the spraying and babying imafan describes.

I wouldn't worry too much about the buds it came with dying off. They arrive covered in little buds that have been forced - the plant is forced into intense bloom with a combination of fertilizers, adjusting the light intensity, etc, to make it look good for sale. I would cut all those blooms off and let it bloom more naturally later.

I had one in a container, that I did nothing to except water as needed and fertilize occasionally, prune as needed. It thrived and got huge, for about 6 years, until I left it out in the super cold winter we had last year, which was too much for it. But with a little protection (being moved up against a house wall where it was protected from wind, hail etc) it survived our normal zone 6 winters just fine, without coming indoors.

imafan26
Mod

I just read through your original post again. You did say you had a miniature rose. They are less fussy, and prolific bloomers, but be careful. I bought a miniature rose in a 3 inch pot from Walmart and while it is pretty bulletproof with very little disease and pest damage and it does bloom in cycles, it turned out to be a rambler with 15-20 ft branches that will root in the ground along the way and climb over everything. Only the flowers stayed small, about the size of a large button which makes them great for corsage or lei.

Return to “Rose Forum”