none

epsom salt

I heard that epsom salt can promote the color of a rose to be better and more vibrant. Is it true. Is epsom salt good for roses in any way?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I've heard this too, but find no collaborative evidence in science. The epsom salts are Magnesium sulphate, which helps chlorophyll production in all plants, so it's definitely good for them in that manner, but I find no evidence of color change for roses (although healthier plants should have better color)

Martha Stewart's recommendation of 2 cups per plant is too much; I'd recommend a half cup per plant mixed into surface soil and watered in (every spring)

Here's more information about Rose Gardening
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/rose/index.html

Scott

Tom the Gardener

Martha Stewart's web site recommends one teaspoon of epsom salts for each foot of the plant's height (not 2 cups per plant!).

The Helpful Gardener wrote: (clip)
Martha Stewart's recommendation of 2 cups per plant is too much; I'd recommend a half cup per plant mixed into surface soil and watered in (every spring)

Scott

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I apologize to Martha and everyone else for putting out second hand (bad) information. She's been through enough already. Thanks to Tom for the clarification...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”