Grey
Greener Thumb

Going to be away for a week -

and I haven't put my roses in the ground yet (been damp, not the time to work clay). Unfortunately, it's also warm here, so they will dry out in the pots pretty quickly too. They HAVE to be watered daily outside as they are now.
I'm considering bringing them into the house, (it's a big construction project anyway) and putting them in the big window that gets morning sun. They won't dry out so quickly that way, and it may not be ideal but at least they have some sunlight... should survive for 5 days to a week.

Roses hate wet feet... but do you think I should set them (there are only four of them) in a wheelbarrow with an inch or two of water in the bottom to ensure they get enough water?

Grey
Greener Thumb

nevermind - I got a neighbor to water them if it does not rain for a day or two. So they will survive...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The wheelbarrow method would be okay for a day or two with diminishing returns after that, as would the window, but your other solution is better... :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well I wound up being away for two and a half weeks. Ever feel like you are not allowed to go back home?

I lost some plants, the roses will recover - they're healthy but had a lot of dead-heading that needed to be done.

The hydrangeas loved where I stuck them in my absence. The blooms are humongous - seem too heavy and too many for such small plants.

I lost a few tomatoes, most of my herbs, and a few others like the mountain bluet may or may not survive. sigh - leave for a short while, and the garden just suffers terribly. Makes you feel soooo bad!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Centaurea going south because of dryness? Don't be too sure unless they were brand new, Grey...

Sorry for your other losses, though... :cry:

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

They were pretty new. It looks now like all the tomatoes will be fine, and most of the herbs are bouncing back.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There you go! :D

HG

Return to “Rose Forum”