bubbie

How to Care for Rose Bushes with Yellowing Leaves?

I just received two rose bushes for Mother's day. Live in Tampa. Planted - beautiful roses - now one plant's leaves are turning yellow - I have never grown roses. What do I do now?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If they're turning yellow down at the bottom or towards the inside of the plant, it's probably a watering issue, either too much or too little. That assumes that the whole leaf is going yellow; if it is a mottled yellow that probably means that branch is virused and there is little hope for the plant. If that's the case, cut the affected branches off and throw them in the garbage (not in the compost); if it's the whole plant, return it to where you bought it and get a refund. If the new foliage is coming in green and growing and not getting the yellow in it, I'd moderate my watering and keep an eye on it. Dusting with a rose powder might be a good idea; it's one of the few preventative applications I approve of and it could nip a fungal infestation in the bud (blackspot can sometimes look like this when it's first starting...

Good Luck,

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”