Kats Eye

two neighbors moved and gave me...

their roses! ok I don't really know much about them so I dug them up and moved them. I am only posting pics of the ones with blooms. although one hasnt bloomed, and it has long long branches, and I don't know if I should move it or not. can someone identify them for me? help I need a rose guru!
Attachments
wte.jpg
red.jpg
ee.jpg
e.jpg

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

The top white one is definitely an Iceberg rose.

imafan26
Mod

They are beautiful roses. It is not the best time to move them, but you can cut back to the strongest canes and leave about a foot. I paint the ends with pruning paint, but that is because I have a problem with dieback. It is important that the pruning tools are clean so as not to transmit diseases. Dig up as much of the root as you can, cut any dead or broken roots off. I also dust them with a fungicide or root tone since it has a fungicide in it. Put it in a pot that is large enough to accommodate the roots without bending them too much, use a good potting soil and do not bury the rose too deep. Put rose food or slow release fertilizer in the potting mix. Water well, settle and fill in more potting soil if you need to and water well. I would keep the roses in a sheltered location until they start growing again and transplant them out into the garden in the fall. The roses should be fed regularly. I tend to over fertilize with granular fertilizer, so I use miracle grow for acid loving plants every two weeks and a slow release fertilizer every 6 months or so.

Iceberg is a grandiflora and was the top rated rose. It is a large plant so needs room to spread out. I don't recognize the other rose cultivars either, but the size of the canes will give you a clue as to much space they need.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I agree with the other poster that the top one could be Iceberg. The bottom one looks to be some variety of shrub rose. It’s not the best time to transplant roses, but I’ve certainly done it in the middle of summer with success, so as long as you baby the roses a bit, they should do fine. You just won’t have the best performance until next summer, or possibly the following (as it takes time for them to recover from the move). How lucky to have your neighbors leave these behind—they’re beautiful!

DDMcKenna

Great pictures, thank you for sharing them.

Return to “Rose Forum”