Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Anyone try water- rooting rose cuttings?

I tried this with a "mystery" rose (see What is your favorite rose). I got the cutting maybe 2 months ago. It has grown a small root. Just dip it in rooting hormone and stick it in water. Cut off the roses, but not the leaves. Change water every 3 or 4 days. Then, wait. I recommend using the hormone in powder form. You can redip it in the hormone if necessary. :D Good luck if you try this! :D

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I was able to get NICE roots on some long stem roses that I got on my 10th wedding anniversary. I didn't use root tone, just cut the dying blooms off and stuck them in water in a sunny sill for a couple weeks. They even grew some nice green leaves!!! They did great until I planted them in cups, then I just could not get them to take to soil. Most of them molded and then I just got lazy and gave up.

I read somewhere a long time ago that they transplant easier when you use sand and water.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Anyone else?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Rose Bloom - yes without much luck. I have had better luck rooting in soil. Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras only lasted a few years because they really need to be grafted. Heirloom roses from my Grandmother , rooted in soil, are still alive and thriving in my Mother's yard - 40 years later.

applestar
Mod

Did you read this sticky at the top of the Rose Forum?

Subject: Help with growing roses from cuttings?
dbang10 wrote:You might want to try a method that I came up with.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Yes, I read that, but I was just seeing if other members have tried this method.

applestar
Mod

Oh, OK. :D

I have to admit I have not had success propagating roses from cuttings. They would start growing roots and buds develop into little leaves, then they died, :( I guess I tried as a project off and on 3 or 4 times. But material I had to work from were all hybrid tea roses and I refuse to use chemicals. So the problem lies somewhere between those two "disadvantages" I guess.

Some day when I return my attention to roses and apply all the new information I've learned from more recent experiences, I think I'd like to try again with old fashioned cultivars that don't rely on grafting.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Oh, that's a shame. The first time I tried, it got tiny buds, did nothing for almost a month, and died.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Has two shoots, in the process of becoming dark green. :D

Tricone
Newly Registered

I am doing this now - cuttings are from a mystery rose found by an abandoned house near Matachewan. I did not have rooting powder handy, so the cuttings were just put in water as-is. After two weeks they are now beginning to root!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The trouble is water roots are not the same as soil roots. So even if they grow good roots in water and start putting out some leaves, at whatever point you move them to soil, they can just up and die. I have succeeded in moving cuttings from water to soil (NOT roses, this was with basil), by keeping the soil constantly wet for awhile until it starts growing some soil roots, but it is not easy and the plant has to be protected from too much sun, wind, etc all that time.

imafan26
Mod

As Rainbow said water roots are not the same as soil roots. Roses will root in water but when they are planted the water roots will die and the rose needs to regrow their roots. My friend though did water root and had no problem. She used large canes at least 1/2 inc thick. She did neglected her container so a lot of the time the water evaporated and allowed the air roots to grow so when she planted the roses, the water roots would die but she would still have some air roots. If you use thicker cuttings the plant has more energy stored to survive longer until the roots can grow. I myself would rather root in perlite. The roses will develop a good set of air roots and the survival rate is better. I still don't get very good results with hybrid tea roses but the roses grown on their own roots like the landscape and rambler roses actually root themselves wherever they touch the ground.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

The one I water rooted died. :oops: :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

as noted, I think that is what is likeliest to happen....

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Yeah :lol:

Return to “Rose Forum”