evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Moving a rose in early winter?

My favourite rose is in the wrong spot. It was a good spot when I planted it with a lemon verbena. Now the lemon verbena is huge and my rose struggling under the shade. I would like to transplant it to a pot. The problem is if I leave it where it is until late winter/early spring there will be other things in there and I won't want to go digging holes. That is why it is still there!

It is fairly cold now and my roses have lost almost all their leaves. Can I move it now even though it's not even the middle of winter?

I just took some cuttings off it because I am inspired by this post: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =7&t=38391. Wish me luck!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, We built a fence around a property, outside the fence was this great White Rose bush. It was mid summer but I wet the ground, cut back the bush and lifted out to a hole I had ready. This was a couple years ago, it's growing well and flowering. It's best to move the plant when dormant, but if you can't you sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Richard

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Ok good. I think I am going to do it now. I hope I don't kill it but it needs to come out.

Return to “Rose Forum”