Brown Thumbs

Rose blooming question

We planted a yellow rose last spring. It bloomed only a couple of times last summer that I recall. I pruned it some in Jan or Feb this year and it's grown some and produced 4 nice roses a couple weeks ago. I cut them off once they faded and hoped for new blooms by now, but no suck luck.

It gets full sun from approximately 9am until 4 or 5 pm. I added some miracle grow granular a few weeks ago with light mulch, and it gets watered every 2-3 days if no rain. Leaves are nice and green but the plant isn't really bushy. I don't know what type it is. That's about all the info I can think to provide and would like to know why it's not blooming more. Thanks for any suggestions!

imafan26
Mod

When you deadheaded the rose did you cut it above a three leaf node or a five leaf node. Cuts should be made above a 5 leaf node if you want larger canes, and you should cut above and outward facing bud. You want to keep the rose growing in a vase shape.

Roses are heavy feeders and need to be fed more than once. I use a slow release fertilizer, but I also supplement after each bloom cycle with a granular fertilizer or Miracle grow for acid loving plants (formerly Miracid).

I have hybrid teas, ramblers, landscape roses and one David Austin rose "Gertrude Jekyll". Since I live in Hawaii, my roses will bloom nearly all year so I actually have to pick a time to cut them back. Otherwise I get 6 ft tall roses and not many new canes. The ramblers have canes that will ramble out 20 ft or more and where they touch the ground they root.

Roses are on just about every bugs dinner menu, so you can go with the systemics or short acting sprays and a lot of diligence. Roses are difficult to grow organically. They are prone to black spot and mildew. Some roses have better resistance. I always look for a rose with glossy green leaves, they do much better in my humid climate. If you don't use systemic rose care than you will need to use some anti fungal spray whenever conditions are ripe for fungal growth. Which is pretty much whenever it rains.

You will need to watch out for aphids, scale, thrips, snails, slugs and the neighbors who will try to steal your blooms. I planted my roses in my front yard near the street light so I do not have problems with rose beetles. I was using systemics and while it controlled most of the problems. I have a papaya scale that is resistant, so I now resort to soapy water and a scrub brush and I have pretty much stopped the systemics to bring back the beneficial insects.

I have the street light, I underplant with nectar plants so they are attracting back the bees and other beneficial insects. I am planting white geraniums and four o'clocks. I have spaced my roses well so they get plenty of air and some of them are quite old and don't have a lot of canes. I do have to monitor for black spot and mildew and I use alcohol, baking soda, and sulfur within 3 days of rain. I do have a Robert Strauss rose that I got last year and it can't stay blackspot free without regular spraying, so it will be replaced with a stronger rose.

https://www.ars.org/about-roses/rose-car ... n-and-how/
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/arch ... prune.html

Brown Thumbs

Thanks for the info. I honestly don't know where I cut the stems in Jan or Feb. But when cutting off the flower itself I just cut the stem it was in right behind the flower. Those stems were a couple inches long and eventually died, then fell off. I just added a little more slow release fertilizer. Still no new blooms or buds at all. Very disappointed because we put it near our porch where we could see and smell a big pretty rose bush! Yellow roses are my favorite and maybe we bought the wrong type for what we want. I'll keep watering and see what happens. Thanks again.

imafan26
Mod

Did your rose bloom as a long stem rose or in bunches of two or three. If they bloom in bunches, it may be a floribunda. If you bought the rose from a dealer, it may still have its' name tag on it.

Floribundas and grandifloras bloom more often than hybrid teas but usually put out flowers in bunches on shorter stems.

The rose should be in full sunlight, on your porch does it get at least 6 hours a day?

Brown Thumbs

They were on long stems, not several coming from one stem. It is located in our yard approximately 10ft from our porch on the SSE side which gets at least 6 hrs of sun. The plant still looks healthy but no blooms again as of yet. Also, I watched several videos and mine only has two stems coming out of the ground where there's had several. This does make mine less bushy...maybe we bought a dud. It's about 3 ft tall now.

Brown Thumbs

Just a quick update. The rose now has five new areas of growth with reddish leaves and one bud! I don't know what took it sooooo long to do this following it's first blooms earlier in the year. Could it be how I dead headed the faded roses? I simply cut them off just under the flower which left a small stem about an inch or two long. That stem died and the bush basically appeared dormant until this week.

imafan26
Mod

Usually after my roses bloom I cut off the flower at a 5 leaf node and feed the rose Peters or miracle grow or you can use a granular fertilizer. The new growth should start just below the cut. If you want a thicker stem. Cut lower, otherwise the branches get thinner and the rose gets higher. I have problems with my canes rotting back so I use pruning paint on cuts that are 1/2 or more. Roses will only bloom on new growth. The lower you make a cut, the longer the wait, but the bigger the bloom will be.

I do use slow fertilizer for maintenance but I use a quick release fertilizer after each bloom cycle. Hybrid teas do not put out a lot of roses but they will put them out regularly if they are cut and fertilized.

https://scvrs.homestead.com/BloomCycles.html

Return to “Rose Forum”