pkk
Newly Registered

What happened to this rose?

_DSC1503.jpg
Hello All

I've attached a picture of a Peace rose I've been growing in a 6 gal bucket for about 4 years. It is one of 3 I planted to commemorate a dear friend who died of cancer. These 3 plants spend the winter in a cool well lit room but not in direct sunlight. In late winter I prune them and set them in a sunny spot indoors before they can go outside. The other 2 plants are completely healthy. This condition came on very suddenly a few weeks after I pruned. Can it be saved?

Thanks for your help & interest
Pkk

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi pkk, Just looked at the picture, I'm thinking sunburn. If this is the problem the bush should began to sprout very shortly. Keep and eye on it, make sure it isn't wet at night by a sprinkler or what ever. Do keep us up on how things progress. I think it will come back.

I think I might have put it in filtered light before putting it in direct sun.

Richard

pkk
Newly Registered

Thanks. I'll try that. This would be the first time any of my roses have sufferred from that.

Pkk

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

PKK, you should include your location (and hardiness zone) in your profile. Unless you want us to assume you are in International Falls, MN. :D

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

If the other roses or other nearby plants had developed similar symptoms, I would have suggested damage from spraying chemicals like insecticides but if the other shrubs are healthy so far, consider the possibility of that being the witches broom of Rose Rossette Disease. It is spread by infected mites. The disease enters roses thru pruning cuts and injuries.

See these links:
https://www.your4state.com/story/d/story ... Rf5hUX3Gyg

Return to “Rose Forum”