RosesForMe
Newly Registered

Transplanting Roses

Hi All. I'm new here and need some help. I have recently moved and want to take my rose bushes with me. There are 6 bushes and they are of various breeds. They were my moms and some are more than 25 years old. I'm starting to dig the holes at my new place and the soil is riddled with palm tree roots from a tree that is no longer there. I'm less than a foot down and the amount of roots is just insane. I don't think the soil has ever been worked before because it had only weeds growing in it when I purchased the place.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not opposed to putting them in containers.

I've attached a picture of the soil just a few inches down and it's getting worse the further I go.

I've looked up a lot of information on how to transplant them and the best way to care for them but I can't find anything on what to do with this root problem I'm having. Thank you in advance for the help!
Attachments
Root system
Root system

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Hows about a raised bed? Fill it with compost for this year.

Your soil looks very sparce of organic material.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Welcome to the forums, Roses. It will be helpful if you put your location information in your profile. Otherwise you will end up putting it in every thread.

Return to “Rose Forum”