harryhh
Cool Member

I just picked some rose hips, will they grow?

Yesterday, 4-23, I picked some hips off of a plant and took the seeds out. They were hanging on the plant all winter. The hips were slightly damp from rain, but the seeds seemed dry and hard. I planted them in some starter pots and have them in my apartment. Should I expect them to grow?

Harry

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Next year after being out in the cold and damp. Well, a few might germinate this year. Usually rose seed needs a winters sleep outdoors in order to germinate.

A winter dry, or a winter in the freezer, doesn't break down the inhibitors to germination.

harryhh
Cool Member

I planted 32 of them, of various sizes, at one quarter to half inch deep. Sounds like it's worth seeing if something might come up.

Thanks,
Harry

tomc
Super Green Thumb

As I was first fumbling around with rose. One pot gave me a couple rose babies the first year. It sat out in NH cold and frost and gave me rather more the next spring. I discarded the contents of the pot on a bed. the following spring the dumped pot of soil made its largest bloom of rose babies.

Rose seed has some profound inhibitors to prevent seed germinating out of season. Be patient please. You have to paint inside its own lines, not ours.

imafan26
Mod

Good luck. I have not been able to germinate rose hips, but then again I don't have a winter to stratify them either. I can grow some of my roses from cuttings.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

Sound like a lot of fun! I’ve planted seeds from my rose hips a couple times over the years with varying degrees of success. I cold-stratified some in my freezer, and I’ve also planted them after winter had passed. I’ve sprouted them on wet paper towels or just planted them. However, even through all my efforts, I’ve never had any grow beyond seedlings. Even though I failed, it was fun to try and I wish you better luck with yours. You should come back to let us know how they turn out so we can share in your success!

harryhh
Cool Member

Wow, I didn't realize they could be so difficult. I've read of people cleaning them in bleach water, then soaking them in hydrogen peroxide, and running them through a mixer. Finally planting them in a sterile soil that they have cooked in the oven.

I figured just picking the hips off the bush this spring and planting the seeds may not be the correct way, but I don't think I'm going to do all the above.

I'm not a gardener and don't intend to become one. I live in an apartment building and there is very little color outside. I planted 22 lily bulbs, that sounded easy. Then one of the ladies started asking me about an uncared for rose bush outside her apartment. ( I'm not the gardner!!) I saw the rose hips, didn't know what they were, broke one open and saw seeds. Figured I'd plant them and see what happens. Guess I'll also trim back her rose bush. Printed some instructions for her on how to take care of a rose bush!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Harry my pan of seed was outdoors all winter. I just stuck my nose in and low and behold there be rose babies in there.

Now go check yours...

harryhh
Cool Member

Excellent! I hope you bought yourself some cigars.

You're having better luck than I am. It turned cool, cloudy and rainy, so mine have been inside except for one day. I finally put them in a box with a florescent light a couple of days ago. But, I think I can put them outside again. I'll give them a couple of more weeks.

harryhh
Cool Member

Well, none of the rose seeds germinated. But, I didn't really expect them too.

I'll look into taking cuttings when the existing rose bush gets bigger.

Return to “Rose Forum”