Mahevish

Help!!! Rose plant not blooming and drying out!

I have a rose plant which was blooming quite well, until last year my rabbit ate few of its leaves and broke a branch. Now, after adding manure and egg shells to it, the plant still isn't looking good! The leaves are yellowing and the budding leaves are drying out. I water it everyday because the sunlight is strong for about 6 hours and the soil dries out by the time I go to water it. earlier it was in a bit of a shady area from which, I moved it to the terrace, but still there is no effect. In fact, I feel its become worse. Please help! Its a very pretty yellow rose plant with heady smelling blooms.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Roses need plenty of water when the season is dry. But water once weekly with a deep watering, this will reach the deepest roots rather than the small daily waterings which only moisten the top soil smaller roots.
Water in the mornings which is less likely to cause mildew, . You may want to think about mulching around the plant for those hot and dry days to conserve moisture.

Have you tried to feed your plant banana peels and a can of coke~a~cola? Just spade out a small area near the root spread area and place in banana peel cover back up and finish with a drink of cola. An old rose grower trick.

Is it time to repot?

Mahevish

Thank you for helping :)
I'll definitely try this!

Mahevish

Hello, Everyone!

I have a rose bush which was given to us by some relatives. It apparently blooms pink flowers. After we got it, it din't bloom at all. The Bush is very healthy with dark green leaves and more of them are starting to grow. I checked for any infection, but there were none. earlier we kept it on the first floor where is used to get 4 hours of sunlight after which we shifted to the fourth floor on the terrace where now, it gets min 6 hours of strong sunlight. I din't use too much manure and I put a few bones and eggshells a while back because it wasn't blooming, but there are no results. I even tried planting onions as members of the garlic family stimulate healthy roses but that din't work out either! Please help!
Thank you! :)

imafan26
Mod

More light for sure will help. Don't overfeed nitrogen to the roses or you will get greens instead of blooms.

Mahevish

It is recieving a lot of sunlight. And I din't feed it any fertilizer at all. I only once I had given it a teaspoon of manure 2 months back , but there is no change.

applestar
Mod

It sounds like it's in a container. How big is the container and how big is the rose?

In a container, a slow release or regular bloom boosting fertilizer is needed either in extremely diluted concentration once a week or somewhat less concentrated every two weeks or so, especially while the plant is in full growth.

A teaspoon of manure (typically nitrogen, and some phosphorous depending on type of manure. I like alfalfa meal too.) sounds insufficient unless for a very small container of very small plant. And I would also provide more phosphorous (like bone meal or rock phosphate) and potassium (kelp meal, greensand, banana peel....). -- in sufficient amounts for the size of container and plant at least monthly. I also like using AACT (actively aerated compost tea) for live/active microbes, micronutrients and minerals.

Usually taper off fertilizing after blooming is finished to give it a rest, then resume with new growth.

In my climate, the rose will have winter rest as well.

...are the onions still growing as companion plant? How does it look? Onions like nitrogen, so if it is very green, then it may actually be taking away from the rose....

Mahevish

Ohk. Thank you I will definitely try that!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, when shadylane said water deeply once a week, she was thinking about a plant in the ground, not in a container. For a container plant in strong afternoon sun you have to water when it is dry, even if that is daily. But if it is dry every day, that sounds like the container is too small and maybe the soil is too free draining. That might be a situation when moisture control potting soil would be helpful. But second everything applestar said.

Mahevish

The plant started growing new leaves but then, one morning it just completely dried out. After removing the plant, I noticed that there were weird gray clumps in the soil which covered the roots. There are other plants in the pot whose leaves are turning white. Maybe that is the causative agent? Can Everyone, please check it out? Thank you!!
Attachments
20140420_070136.jpg
20140420_070200.jpg

Return to “Rose Forum”