grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Veeeeeery interesting! I will have to try that.
I have always used a hand sprayer on my roses, it makes me get down and actually look at what's going on with my roses as well, instead of just spray a general pressure spray over the whole thing.

Thanks alot for your bit of advice Pixi!
Have a most wonderful day! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ginger is also antibacterial...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yeah, I guess I knew that, I just never thought of putting it in the context of my roses! Learnin' every day!!! 8)
VAL

JPIXI

Hiya Guys,

I do not know any scientific reasons behind putting ginger, but it does work in my garden. This summer it has absolutely no pest after I added ginger juice and one spice which I do not know the name. I will take a picture of it as soon to show you guys.

From the bonsai farmer, according to ancient chinese legend, this spice attracts earthworms and it makes them grow a lot bigger and better. Indeed, after using this spice to my soil, earthworm at least double and they are gigantically huge, long and fat. Average length of 16cm and more than cm in diameter. Maybe this is why it attracts mold to my garden. I have 50 in my compost now, and I feed them with leaf every 5days.

I apologise for my wierd formulas.

Cheers,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Pixi, Why are you apologising? Your formulas are no more wierd than dumping a whole bunch of toxic chemicals into our gardens, except yours are better for us, and they work better too!!!
No need whatever to apologise, that's what the forum is all about is sharing ideas, and helping each other!

Pour ne pas inquiéter mon penseur ingénieux! Nous aimons partager vos idées. Ayez un beau jour! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

PIXI, I am PERFECTLY willing to try your ginger recipe (I love the stuff and usually have fresh in the fridge); it is the toxic goo they are trying to sell me on the TV and the store I have issues with...
:lol:
Scott

JPIXI

Hi All,

Below is a spray for summer pests/ black spot and mildew.

Ingredients:

1- Bordeaux mixture (In french Bouillie bordelaise), 80 grams
2- Tree fern, "male which has seeds behind feuillage" (In french fougére, in first photo) 0.75litre of extract
3- Stinging Nettle (In french Ortie, in second photo), 0.25 litre of extract
4- liquid Soap (optional)
5- 10 litres of water

*You can extract the liquid of the plant by blending with a small amount of water. Try to apply the spray early in the morning and apply under feuillage as much as possible.

Pixi

[/img][url=https://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fern6jo.jpg][img]https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5655/fern6jo.th.jpg[/img][/url]Image[url=https://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ortie6ib.jpg][img]https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5425/ortie6ib.th.jpg[/img][/url]

noreen

Hi JPIXI,

thanks for sharing you recipe. I've got a couple of questions about it, though.

1) does the mixture have to sit/"stew" for a certain amount of time before it's ready to use? As with rose tea, which needs 2 weeks to mature.

2) How often do you apply it? daily? once a week?

3) could you please explain what Bouillie bordelaise is in more detail? My attempt to translate it failed. :oops: has it something to do with foodstuff? that's the only useful info I got (Bouillie = something cooked). :?

hope you don't mind me asking such questions :oops:

oh, and the first picture somehow doesn't work. But if it's the common fern that grows everywhere, I know what it is. :)

Thanks again

noreen

JPIXI

Hi Noreen,

I have attached the photo of the fern again. It was due to broken linkage.

[img][url=https://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fern5dw.jpg][img]https://img477.imageshack.us/img477/5239/fern5dw.th.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

Bouillie bordelaise (Bordeau Mixture in English) is discovered in the vineyards of the Bordeaux region of France, Bordeaux Mixture has been used as a fungicide for more than 100 years. Use it to prevent and control fungus on grapes, apples and peaches and against blights on some vegetables and perennials. Though made of naturally-occurring minerals, it is poisonous and should not be applied at rates greater than those recommended. You should be able to find it on the shelves of gardening column in big supermarket or gardening stores.

I usually use baking soda in early spring to replace Bouillie bordelaise. However, as the weather and temperature is more and more favorable to pests, I use Bouillie bordelaise from June to late summer. You can apply the spray every 10 to 14 days. The optional mild soap adds on to hold the substance longer to the feuillage.

The fern shown is indeed very common in everywhere. However, please only use the male fern (with seeds underneath) which release a hormones that drives away the destructive female pests. The fern is a very useful herbs that can kill a kind of rose bulb cutter pest that love to "chop" off the going to bloom flower. No one can tell you how heart ache it is to see a headless sterm with the bulb chop off by this pest.

Noreen, please ask all you wanted, we are all here to share and help each other. Probably, we are a closer situation than the rest as we both are in EU.

Have fun pal.

Pixi

noreen

Hi JPIXI,

thanks for your answer. :-)

I'l see if I can find Bouillie bordelaise somewhere. Or I'll simply restore to baking soda if that's working, too. The only persistant problem I have are aphids anyway. Until now we never had much trouble with fungus, so maybe I can save the heavy waponery for any real emergancy ;-)

Luckily we have a spot where fern is growing really dense, so I'm continually suplied with it. I just have to check if there're any male plants at all. But I remember seeing knobbly things on the underside of the leaves in the last years.

regards

noreen

lefty317

hi all,

while new to this forum, I have been hanging around others for quite some time. I find it interesting that no one on this thread has mentioned the benefits of adding spent coffee grounds to their rose beds. the are a good organic source of mild nitrogen, very slightly acidic, and attract worms to keep soil loose.

chris

Mstrain
Newly Registered

lefty317 wrote:hi all,

while new to this forum, I have been hanging around others for quite some time. I find it interesting that no one on this thread has mentioned the benefits of adding spent coffee grounds to their rose beds. the are a good organic source of mild nitrogen, very slightly acidic, and attract worms to keep soil loose.

chris
Funny you should mention the coffee grounds. I learned of this method five years ago. You're absolutely correct. Especially about the allure to worms.
Michael

Archiedixon
Newly Registered

hey..the provided tips are really very useful. These will help a lot to establish my garden more beautifully. Seriously, thanks a lot..........!!!!!

KTedham
Newly Registered

Great info. Thanks, just got a couple of questions though. :)

Can the coffee grounds be put on top of the soil or do they have to be mixed in?

Also, how do you use the air pump to get air in the soil? Does it have to be buried under the plant?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No KT, they are making a "tea" for the roses and aerating it so it doesn't go anaerobic... :lol: Not the soil, my friend, the tea...

And yes, surface applications are fine...

HG

Return to “Rose Forum”