Hi - newbie here. I've read the posts like Ã¢â‚¬Å“I killed itÃ¢â‚¬Â¦again Ã¢â‚¬Å“with amusement and understanding. (I'm there!) IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve found lots of good advice, need help applying it to the Southwest US desert. Please forgive the length, but want to give you as much info as possible.
The trouble is/was with my container planted mini roses that are growing on my south facing balcony. My storage shed blocks late afternoon sun, and a shade cloth awning is over the center to filter midday sun, so humidity (dry) and sunlight (8-9 hrs) is not a problem. Nor is heat (yet) as things started when weather was mild.
Last September I got 5 various mini-roses, transplanted them to 8 in pots, some a commercial pot soil, and some in mixed with organic pot soil. I put those pots in lined cache pots, added mulch and watered them every week -10 days. They did beautifully all fall and winter. In February I noticed some yellowing and brown leaves and some fruit-fly looking bugs about them so I sprayed with an insecticidal soap, then Neem the following week. The leaves then looked a bit burned, so I removed damaged leaves, trimmed back the branches a couple of inches, repotted to 10 in., and fed with a commercial Rose Food, exactly as instructed. A week later, the rest of the leaves fell off, but got lots of new growth for a few days. That then wilted and all but one plant died almost overnight. As the one seemed to recover a little, I decided to try again. Thinking that the insect spray or over fertilizing was the problem, I repotted them in the same commercial potting soil. The survivor chose this time to croak.
The new roses seemed fine at first, other than leaf cutter bees finding them a delicacy. Then 2 weeks ago, I noticed the leaves turning brown (again!)-almost burned looking-on the outer ends. (One Ã¢â‚¬Å“KarinaÃ¢â‚¬