Rose bloom
Green Thumb

How to plant rose hips

I just found some hips last week. Does anyone know how to plant them? :oops:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Rose seed need a winters slumber outside, shallowly planted into a shallow pan. Cover the pan with a plank and let it sit outdoors, in the cold and wet.

As your spring nears take the plank off seed will germinate when temperatures warm.

I've tried this kind of cold-stratification in my fridge. it never ever works as well as a winters neglect outdoors.

Rose babies are about 1/4 the size of tomato babies of similar age.

The plank is to keep out visiting varmints, who most often want to hide their seeds in your pots. Make them do their own digging.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your welcome.

Planting out rose seed is a fun form of experimentation.

imafan26
Mod

Good to know and I explains why none of my rose seed ever germinated. No cold stratification.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Imafan,

Your site would be the exception, that might me want to try cold stratification in the fridge.

What will not apply to some warm blooded rose is: I also don't know if your lack of winter dormancy is a deal breaker post germination.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just because no one has mentioned it. ... Rose b, maybe you already know this, but you asked about how to "plant rose hips." Actually you can't plant rose hips, only the seed inside the hips. The hips themselves have plant hormones that keep the seeds from germinating. They are designed to be eaten, which digests the hip off and then the seed passes through and thereby gets moved to a new location. So you have to open it up and get the seeds out.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Oh, ok.

Return to “Rose Forum”