braverichard
Newly Registered

Roses stripped of leaves by animals

Hi all,

About two months ago I planted 4 well rooted, bare root roses in my backyard. They started to grow within a week or two and produced a good amount of leaves with growth of about 6 inches above ground. Unfortunately two days ago some animal went and picked 95% of the leaves clean! I'm guessing it must be one of the rabbits in the bushes behind my house. I have 65 shrubs all around my house and nothing else was attacked. The rabbits just beat me to it as I was planning to spray chemicals to keep them away this weekend!

Anyway, my question is, will these roses make it? Their leaves have not started going dormant (some of the other larger roses I have in my gardens have already started going dormant, in particular, some floribundas and pink double knock outs). With their leaves almost all gone they won't be able to photosynthesize. I was wondering if I should just dig them up, put them in planters, keep them indoors where they can get sunshine and produce leaves again and then perhaps just put them away in the garage for the winter and plant them in the spring. Or is there means by which I can feed the roses the carbohydrates that they can't make for themselves now?

Thanks for all input.

PS: Perhaps I should have added that I am in Kansas City, Missouri, zone 5. We get nasty winters here and growing time for plants is pretty much over. Many trees have already shed most if not all of their leaves.

braverichard
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your reply. I have updated my signature as per your suggestion.

I understand your advice with respect to the time of the year it is, I just hope that the plants have enough food stored for the winter because they had just sprouted those leaves just a few weeks ago and so these are not plants that have had leaves for months of this year. I will do as you advised and leave it alone. I have sprayed stuff to protect from rabbits.

Return to “Rose Forum”