gmp
Cool Member

please help me to save my rose - Discolored leaves

Yesterday I bought two rose plants from a nursery. When I selected the plants, it seemed to be ok. Today I saw some difference in some leaves. Please help me identify what it is and how to treat that. Yesterday I sprayed the plants with neem oil spray(Parker's neem oil) which I usually do for my other plants. Please help me. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
005e99d5984a767a854863877b5cade8.jpg
13e464daa29d292d1b94949195121215.jpg

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Looks like leaf miner. Does it look like the pests are eating it from the inside ?

If it is leaf miner I get it on my birch and I just pick the leafs off. Might not be an option for your new roses.

Might I suggest an evaluation of their return policy?

gmp
Cool Member

It does not look like a leaf miner to me. In fact first I thought that way, but it is not making a distinct path, its just a patch. Moreover it don't look like pests are eating from inside. I don't see any bugs also. :? I don't know if I am missing something. I want to do something to save my plant. But I don't know what to do. :( I don't want to kill it. :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, that if you just bought the rose plants yesterday and they are diseased, you ought to be able to take it back. I don't grow roses, because they are too fussy and disease prone, so I really can't comment on what is going on with them and how serious.

gmp
Cool Member

With little research I thought it could be chemical burn, since I sprayed the neem oil with dishwashing detergent. Ofcourse the ratio is fine. But usually I put the detergent first shake the bottle and then the neem oil, shake it again, spray it on my money plant(pothos) first, after that to all my other plants. But this time after mixing I sprayed it on my red rose bush which is badly hit(because of whatever it is) :(
I tried to remove the infected leaves to see if it spreads again. Some more googling tells me that it could be downy mildew. As the picture is somewhat similar to mine. Let see how it goes.

https://pnwhandbooks.org/plantdisease/ro ... wny-mildew

I think the last picture looks similar to my plant.
Thanks rainbow gardener, let me see if, it spreads then I try to take it back.
Advices are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

if it is in fact a detergent, and not just a careless reference to soap, stop using detergents on plants.
detergents are not soaps, they can have all kinds of chemicals that will harm-to-kill plants.

frankly, the leaf damage looks like plain ole sun scald. if the plant was under roof and you planted it out in full sun.... plants do get sunburn.....

it is not leaf miners and it is not mildew.

gmp
Cool Member

Sorry its not a detergent, it a soap, dishwashing liquid. Please can you confirm if it not because of fungus. thanks in advance.

gmp
Cool Member

Could anybody help me to identify the name of the rosé. The red one is not opening. Thanks in advance
Attachments
cc0520d1f9799c386746834373b1e8f1.jpg
9cc629264c430219ef85967e4b752fd7.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You should check - most often dishwashing liquid IS detergent, not soap.

I have no idea what varieties your roses are. Where you bought them should know. Alternatively, everyrose.com

https://www.everyrose.com/everyrose/sitemap.lasso

is a searchable database of rose varieties. You can input everything you know about the rose - color, size, fragrance, rose type, etc and it will give you names of all the varieties that fit those criteria, with thumbnail images and link to more info.

For e.g. I gave it criteria hybrid tea rose, red colored, dark red ARA standard color, no fragrance and it came up with 36 varieties that fit that description. Or you can use the "browse for a rose" feature to browse through, for e.g., all the 428 dark red rose varieties.

gmp
Cool Member

Thanks a lot rainbow gardener. Now I suspect the culprit is roseslug. :twisted:

https://www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo ... lored.html

But I am trying to find out the larvae or the bug.

gmp
Cool Member

Its just because of the temperature change. Now all my plants are doing well. New buds :D. Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

Return to “Rose Forum”