leigh

Why are my roses budding with 4-6 buds to a stem

I have 6 rose bushes, and most of them are starting to bud with multiple buds to a stem ( I don't know the correct term for that). I did cut several roses lately. I usually try to cut them 1/4 inch above the last leaflet with 5 leaves, but don't always do so. What have I done to make them all start doing this? A couple of the bushes have done this before, but not all of them. (I can usually make a cutting that has one rose only, not one stem with 4-6 buds with very short stems coming off the main stem).

Thanks

Leigh

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like you bought a floribunda rose and you're used to hybrid teas. Floribundas or shrub roses have multiple blooms per stem; limiting the number of blooms can produce bigger flowers, but hey, let it do it's thing.
More blooms means longer bloom times...

Scott

Leigh

Well, I've been in this house for 3 years now. I have never seen them have this many blooms per stem before. I could often find a single stem rose to cut on most of my rose bushes, but now there are so many blooms per stem. I guess my pruning earlier this spring made them produce more blooms this year? They just haven't done this to this extent before.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Pruning could be it or the shrub may just be getting more mature. What kind of rose is it?

Viagrowth
Newly Registered

I have the same thing going on and it just started a month ago and its on stems reaching 6' and only on one of 3 plants. They were poorly maintained and I began to nurse them 3 months ago. As a result, I'm still cutting fresh blooms to put in vases in the house. Cant remember what type they are; 2 different plants pink and red, zone4. I'm certain the soil isnt too great around the entire yard but the 6'x5' area of the plants are secure separate enclosed and with lots of extras to help maintain drainage, water retention full sunlight and supports. Have gone through periods where I kept them sheltered or covered. Adding different things and doing a variety of tactics to bring them back to life and flourish. I live in Minnesota and still today tending to them as they are holding on as it gets colder and less sun rays.

applestar
Mod

Are the flowers same color and type that they are supposed to be? These could be blooming on a root stock sucker stem that got away from you. Examine — follow stem to where it is growing from — if growth starts from below the graft.

Viagrowth
Newly Registered

The one single bush has dominated the ground and the 2 other plants slowly dying. However the plant I mentioned in previous post has gone nuclear. I'm up to an 8 bloom stem. There are well over 100 blooms on this plant most of them open and full. Many are small but many big. There are also plenty of single bloom stems as well as multiple. I have been very protective and attentive to this bush and its paying off. None have sagged or drooped indicating strong stems. I'm very proud.

Viagrowth
Newly Registered

They are all red; the other failing plants are pink, a fourth red died a few yrs ago. These were planted in an open section of my yard with nothing else around.

Return to “Rose Forum”