Beecmcneil
Cool Member

I wish I could afford books. I have a baby girl, Poet, on the way. Most of our money goes to rent and feeding mama and Poet and myself.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That's what the library is for! :) Congratulations on the baby coming!

What cynthia meant is that you can do worm composting in tote size. You can't really do regular composting in anything smaller than those bins I linked to. The process requires a certain volume of materials.

You don't have to buy bins though (they are getting cheaper all the time). There are lots of plans around for DIY compost bins made out of wooden pallets you can get for free from stores, or other free or Freecycled materials.

Beecmcneil
Cool Member

Thanks! I'm so excited to hold her and see her face, and feel her hand wrapped around my finger!
Wish me luck
Bee

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Beecmcneil wrote:I just got 124 rose seeds. And I want to know how and when to germinate. :?: der der der. I've done a lot of online reading, but I know how unreliable the Internet can be. It seems as though this is a really reliable website.
Rose seed has a very hard coat. I tried several times scarifying seeds. After a half dozen years of trials scarification does little to increase or speed of germination.

Rose should probably be cold stratified outdoors over the course of a winter. The person who reads this and interprets it to mean in a refidgerator, is also going bring their seeds in and out of the fridge daily, because it is the cycle of warming and chilling, not mere cold or freezing.

The longer seed is dried the longer it takes to get seed to germinate.

IMO pick 'em, and plant 'em.

Sometimes seed will stay dormant through an entire growing season and germinate the second year. So-o-o discard your spent germinating pans where they can sit undisturbed. You might just get a second at- bat.

I grew mostly rosa rugosa, but over the years if I ran into a good cellar hole rose, I'd come back and pick hips in the fall.

Return to “Rose Forum”