CRWinter
Newly Registered

different variety of rose growing on WWII Veteran bush?

I have a World War II Veteran rose that has been in my yard for four years. It has produced beautiful white with a hint of pink roses on it ever since I planted it four years ago. The Roses are huge- about 6" across when fully open. I noticed tonight that there are small velvety red roses growing on the same bush! How can this be? They are just under 2" wide and there are clusters of them on each stem (about 4 stems growing in various places on the bush). They look nothing like the WWII roses. I have several other rose bushes in my yard but none of them look like this red rose that is now growing among the WWII. Can a rose bush produce two different varieties with two different colors on the same bush? The only thing I did different this last winter was that I didn't prune it back nearly as much as I did in years past.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It is simply a matter of where on the rose the branch is coming from. If you look carefully you will find the red branch or shoot coming from BELOW the bud union (where the scion (top graft) connected to the root stock (usually an old red rose named 'Dr. Huey')). Not a problem; just prune it out and you'll be fine...

Scott

An added note to the helpful gardeners reply:

If the rootstock sucker is a new shoot it should snap off cleanly by hand. If the sucker is woody it will have to be pruned off. If you cannot remove all of the sucker, carefully scrape off the bud node from the rootstock. Best to use a knife to do this and take your time. When done properly you will see a slight concave dent in the root stock. Avoid damage to the rootstock in the process. If the bud node is not removed it will keep suckering. Check for suckers on a weekly basis and remove them while young and soft. Suckers can quickly sap the strength from a rosebush
and rob you of blooms.

Should you want more specific information contact the American Rose Society at www.ars.org On the home page is a link to ask questions. It links you to rose growers in your state.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice addition. I can use the back-up this time of year...

HG

Return to “Rose Forum”