Dani2

Rosa rugosa from seed

I'm hoping to propagate some rosa rugosa from seeds. I've never done this before so I would appreciate any advice. Do the seeds need a period of chilling, how deep should I sow them and do the seeds do best in light or dark, and cool or hot conditions? Thanks in advance for any help.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Try chilling for 120 days and plant them 1/4" deep in 75 degrees. Moist them often and they should germinate in about 4 months.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And understand that chilling doesn't just mean putting the seeds in the frig, doesn't count. The seeds have to be "planted" in moist potting soil, with the whole tray or whatever they are in wrapped in plastic to keep the moisture in. Then put that in the frig for the 120 days.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Refrigerating or freezing seed will not cold stratify seed. For rosa rugosa I plant seed shallowly and lightly mulch it in a shallow pot. I put a board or brick on top of the pot and set it outdoors through out the winter.
Take the critter barrier off when snow melts.

In the spring seed wakes up and starts growing. I have seven little RR sitting up in their cells as I write.

At my house ziplock bag with seed and a damp paper towel end up in the trash far too often.

Return to “Rose Forum”