fifinka
Newly Registered

Why Do My Roses Die After Pruning?

Hello,

I am new here and would appreciate any advice.

Two years ago I started to grow roses in container on my balcony. All went well, roses grow and bloomed. The issue always starts when I prune them.

First one I did in Fall and it died, I thought that this is because of winter. Second one I pruned in Spring and it died as well. :(

Checked many books and can not find out what I am doing wrong. One thought I had, I know when you cut an Orchid stem you seal the cut with wax, is this needed after the prune?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advices. :lol:

Regards, Fifinka

Hortoholic

fifinka wrote:Hello,

I am new here and would appreciate any advice.

Two years ago I started to grow roses in container on my balcony. All went well, roses grow and bloomed. The issue always starts when I prune them.

First one I did in Fall and it died, I thought that this is because of winter. Second one I pruned in Spring and it died as well. :(

Checked many books and can not find out what I am doing wrong. One thought I had, I know when you cut an Orchid stem you seal the cut with wax, is this needed after the prune?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advices. :lol:

Regards, Fifinka
Where are you from Fin? Where do you store your pruners? Do you clean them often? How aggressively are you pruning your roses? What kind of roses are you pruning?

fifinka
Newly Registered

Hello Hortoholic,

thanks for your reply.

This will get you: I live in Prague (Czech Republic). I have a balcony facing East, which I closed by glass. I have there different plants (Orchids, Petunias, Pelargonium...and my roses). During winter I wrap the containers with bubble folia, and if it is very cold outside I wrap them with special clothes. Never had an issue with winter.

I always tend to buy tea hybrids as they are marked for containers. I prune the roses above the third note from bottom with a sharp blade. I think my roses are too much spoiled, I sprinkle them regularly, fertilizer them and water them. They usually behave well, until I decide to prune them. I am planning to buy a new one end of April.

Are these information enough? Thanks in advance for your Help.

Hortoholic

Well, only thing I can suggest is to make sure your cleaning your pruners every time you cut. Your plant may have pathogens on the outside skin and when you prune, you allow the pathogens to gain access into the plant.

Clean the blade with 10/1 ration of bleach (water being the 10).

Good Luck :D

Grey
Greener Thumb

I thin Hortoholic is right, it is likely something on your pruners that is killing your roses. Though, I admit, I don't clean mine as often as I should and I have had no problems. I'm probably very lucky.

I don't cut mine in the fall, just the Spring when I see what died off or doesn't look right. I'm not a rose expert, though I seem to do all right with them.

My only other thought with your Spring pruning is that you are cutting back too much of the new growth it is trying to push out, and the rose is spent at that point (though, pretty unlikely). The only roses I know of where you can cut off a lot of their growth in early Spring are the Knockouts, those I'm told you cut back to 1/3.

How hard are you pruning them?

Jess
Greener Thumb

fifinka wrote:.This will get you: I live in Prague (Czech Republic). I have a balcony facing East, which I closed by glass. I have there different plants (Orchids, Petunias, Pelargonium...and my roses). During winter I wrap the containers with bubble folia, and if it is very cold outside I wrap them with special clothes. Never had an issue with winter.

I always tend to buy tea hybrids as they are marked for containers. I prune the roses above the third note from bottom with a sharp blade. I think my roses are too much spoiled, I sprinkle them regularly, fertilizer them and water them. They usually behave well, until I decide to prune them. I am planning to buy a new one end of April.
Fifinka you say you protect the plants on your balcony. How protected are your roses and how cold does it get? Unlike the other plants you grow the roses are hardy. Just wondering if maybe you are protecting them too much. Do you water them very much when they are dormant? They don't need very much in the winter. Maybe with the next one you buy don't prune it until you see bud breaking. That way you can tell if it is the pruning that is causing the problem or the way you are looking after them through the winter.

fifinka
Newly Registered

Hello everyone,

thanks for your hints and advises. will keep them in mind when I buy my new rose. Hopefully this one will survive more than one season.

take care and have a great time with your roses.

Fifinka.

Return to “Rose Forum”