sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

New to roses! Acid soil

Hi, I have acid soil... blueberries naturally thrive in my yard LOL. I got some roses bushes at the surplus store, 2 for $5. they were bare root. I planted them and they're growing beautifully. They now have buds on them. I am reading that they only like slightly acidic soil, but too acidic they won't do well. If blueberries thrive in my soil, I would assume my soil is way more alkaline than roses would like, right? Would they be flowering if they didn't like the soil? Or is it one of these things that will show what they really like a couple years into it? Or next year?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:Hi, I have acid soil... blueberries naturally thrive in my yard LOL. I got some roses bushes at the surplus store, 2 for $5. they were bare root. I planted them and they're growing beautifully. They now have buds on them. I am reading that they only like slightly acidic soil, but too acidic they won't do well. If blueberries thrive in my soil, I would assume my soil is way more alkaline than roses would like, right? Would they be flowering if they didn't like the soil? Or is it one of these things that will show what they really like a couple years into it? Or next year?
Don't really know the answer to your question, since I don't grow roses, but I assume where I highlighted alkaline, you really meant acid?

They say roses grow best in moderately acid to slightly acid soil (pH 5.5 to 6.5).

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ooops yeah, acid LOL. big boobooo!!!

Return to “Rose Forum”