Annuta
Newly Registered

Rose's leaves turning yellow

Hi all!

I recently began growing roses on my balcony. I currently have seven roses and they all seem to be doing very well, except one.

The rose's leaves are beginning to turn yellow, starting at the base of the leaf. I uploaded a picture to illustrate: https://www.flickr.com/photos/80372716@N05/7184454283/

The soil is moist, but not overly saturated. I last fertilized all the plants, including this rose, two weeks ago with regular houseplant fertilizer from Miracle Gro (I have a better, rose-specific fertilizer arriving today).

The flowers themselves seem to be doing fine, but the leaves concern me. I'm very new to roses and have a lot to learn, so any ideas/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Anna

aw713
Newly Registered

Hi, plant looks healthy and blooms are perfect; it appears you may be watering too much. Roses do not like to sit in water. Try watering less often.

Annuta
Newly Registered

Thank you for the tip! I will water that particular rose a bit less often. All seven roses get the same watering schedule, but perhaps this one's needs are different.

Hopefully it's as simple as watering less, because I love this rose and don't want it to get sick!

Anna

Alexandra
Newly Registered

My iceberg leaves start turning yellow and burned last summer. I planted these roses 3 years ago. I have 17 bushes.
I furtilize them once in 6 weeks. I used organic furtilizer with potassium and with rose formula from Summerwinds nursery, I used sulfur and iron furtilizers, I applied the home depot rose furtilizer Vigaro .I pruned them a few weeks ago as well. But nothing changed.
I water my roses 3 times a week, 12 minutes. I tried to water them less often, even once per week, but nothing has been changed.
May be somebody knows what else should I do to stop my roses leaves to look burned and flowers on these steams to look tiny and not healthy?
It is not definitely the spider mite, rust, mildew or black spot. My roses had those and I am familiar with these deseases.
I will try to upload the picture. Effected rose leaves are looking light yellow and clean. Sometimes the edges are looking burned as if they were burned by fire .
Last edited by Alexandra on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Spider mites seem to love my roses and usually the first sign of them is yellowing leaves. Somewhat later, I find the tiny strands of webbing. That's a sure sign, and I treat with insecticidal soap spray. I usually buy Safer's, but if I had a large rose garden to treat, I would just make the soap spray here at home. There are many threads on the forum that provide the recipes and how to use them. You can find them by using the Search the Forum function on the black tool bar. :)

Pudita

Annuta wrote:Hi all!

I recently began growing roses on my balcony. I currently have seven roses and they all seem to be doing very well, except one.

The rose's leaves are beginning to turn yellow, starting at the base of the leaf. I uploaded a picture to illustrate: https://www.flickr.com/photos/80372716@N05/7184454283/

The soil is moist, but not overly saturated. I last fertilized all the plants, including this rose, two weeks ago with regular houseplant fertilizer from Miracle Gro (I have a better, rose-specific fertilizer arriving today).

The flowers themselves seem to be doing fine, but the leaves concern me. I'm very new to roses and have a lot to learn, so any ideas/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Anna

I think most roses have black spot this year so you can spray for it but need to take all the leaves off and bin them but not in the compost bin
I saw on one forum that people sprayed with milk so I ttied that and mine are looking good :)

Return to “Rose Forum”