puggles
Newly Registered

Help....My container rose is not blooming.

Newbie here......I have a J&P Bella'Roma rose in a 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide container. I usually fertilize it in the spring with Rose food and again about six or eight weeks later. When it does bloom, the roses look deformed. What am I doing wrong?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Puggles :)

Are there any other symptoms? Anything wrong with the leaves etc.? Also how mature is it? (how big) What compost do you have it in and how long have you had it?
There are various pests and diseases that attack roses or it could be the wrong compost, wrong aspect etc. Need a bit more info before I suggest anything.

puggles
Newly Registered

Jess it is a tree rose, and not really big. I just have it in regular potting soil, so maybe that is the problem. I have had it for three years. Sometimes the leaves get powdery, but after I fertilize it that goes away. Or if I spray the leaves with water in the early morning. Right now it looks pretty healthy because it has new leaves. However, I would love to see it bloom properly.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Ok. Several suggestions. Firstly the pot sounds very large. My first thought is too much compost. It must soak up an awful lot of water in such a large pot. Do you have much crocking at the bottom? Secondly the type of compost. Ordinary multi purpose has a lot of peat in it which acts like a sponge in wet weather and can look dry on top when underneath it is still sodden. Much better to use a tree and shrub compost which is more open and free draining. If the powder you talk of is powdery mildew this is caused by high humidity and could be caused by the compost again but also the siting of the pot. Is it in full sun best part of the day? Might be better to move it to where it gets more sun and make sure air can circulate around the pot freely so not up against a wall or surrounded by other pots.
I hope something is useful in that lot. :D
Ooops forgot to say stop spraying the leaves with water. This encourages powdery mildew!

puggles
Newly Registered

Thanks Jess. I should probably repot in a smaller container like you said with a different soil. I have it in the bigger one, since I also have other plants in there. It is also next to our slider where the wall of the house is. So I will move it somewhere else. We do get full sun on our deck, so I have several spots to place it. Thanks again...Happy Gardening!

Jess
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome and let me know if you get any flowers this year. If you do, post some pictures!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Puggles,

There is something called rose rosette disease caused by a virus. Take a look here to see if those are the symptoms you see.
https://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-620/450-620.pdf

Newt

Return to “Rose Forum”