HannahGrace

Preventing blackspot?

My oldest sister had a white rose bush in front of her house that died... or so she thought. Apparently there was some life left because she just sent me a shoot-off from the bush. I guess she gave up on it there and decided to let me do what I could with it. I love roses but my rose bush died for some unknown reason so I was elated when I got this one last night. My sister did say, however, that the bush was very prone to black spot. Is there any way to prevent this?

HannahGrace

Thanks, Marlin. I didn't know that about watering roses at ground level.

At this point I still have the bush in the pot my sister sent it in (it's a pretty good-sized pot and the bush isn't very big as yet). I also have the little miniature rose bush that my Dad bought for my Mom for Valentine's day. She has given it over to my care (though it does still belong to her) because I like gardening more than she does. :D I just need to find a good place to put them. The "best" place according to my oldest brother was in a little bed right outside our backdoor but we have yet to get a rose to survive very long. He said it was because we had little brothers who like to just jump off the steps and pay no attention to what they land on (though I'd think that would be a little painful at times :P ). That may have been true for some of the bushes but when mine died last year I knew it wasn't the only reason because neither the dog nor brothers jumped on it and it still died. That one came out with one big, beautiful rose (the one in my picture) and then the rest of the flowers just got smaller and smaller as time went by. Most of them were closer to the size of mini-roses than regular roses! :|

Return to “Rose Forum”