CarolynB

trying to choose short red climbing rose

I'm planning to add a red climbing rose to my front yard, and I'm trying to decide which one. If possible, I need one that stays relatively short, because it will be against a fence that's only 6 feet tall. I'm considering Dublin Bay, Cadenza, Courageous, and Dizzy Heights. I'm not sure what to expect with regard to height for these, because some sources say they're shorter and some say they're taller. My criteria (besides the short height) are disease resistance, continual or frequently recurring bloom, and continued blooming during hot weather (as I live in zone 9, with hot dry summers). I prefer a red that's neither very orangey nor very blueish (as in deep pink), but in between. Can anyone tell me, from your own experience, how well any of these 4 roses fit my criteria? Or, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Hobbit
Newly Registered

Hi Carolyn, like you I am a new member, so I was reading through the Rose section postings and came across your question. I can think of three varieties which might suit, Cerise Bouquet/Danse du Feu and Guinee.
You might also like to check the following sites where each rose is well photographed and its likes/dislikes explained.
www.davidaustinroses.com
www.classicroses.co.uk
David Austin is an English grower reintroducing the"old fashioned" english rose, many of which are highly scented, and some of his bush/shrub roses can be trained as short climbers.
Good Luck

doccat5
Green Thumb

I would also like to suggest a couple of rose sites

[url]https://www.vintagegardens.com/rose_index.aspx[/url]

and Palentines. com

I'm not sure how experienced you are with roses, but you can always train it to climb the fence and "drape" over the other side. :)

I'd like to suggest Don Juan, it an old tried and true tough, disease resistant climber. Gives wonderful continuous bloom and can stand up to your heat and keep going. :)

Always such fun to look, I'm quite take with your Dizzy Delights. Like the appearance of it.

Margie
Newly Registered

Carolyn - You probably already planted your rose, but I'll second the suggestion for the Don Juan. I live not too far from where you do and I have one. It doesn't get perfect sun but is still lovely and climbs just a little over 6 feet tall. It is growing on a purgola with our grapes.

Return to “Rose Forum”