joytohave

Mini rose buds falling off

My mini rose gets a few buds,don't open, then they fall off.It almost looks they are drying up but I keep the soil moist.This happened several times.It is getting new growth but has has no roses since I got it Feb. !4. I also just noticed there are 6 little guys in the one pot.Any help would be appreciated.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's possible that you're keeping it too moist. Allow the soil to dry a bit between waterings. Too much water will make the roots rot.

joytohave

Kisal wrote:It's possible that you're keeping it too moist. Allow the soil to dry a bit between waterings. Too much water will make the roots rot.
Well I got a 10 inch clay pot and transplanted today.The roots looked good,I opened them up a bit.I am planning on leaving it outside since it looks like our temps are pretty stable,highs in the 50s and 60d and lows in the mid 30s .

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

rather a lot of those mini-roses are especially grown for Feb 14 - lots and lots of TLC followed by brutal 'forcing' to ensure they've got buds on precisely the right day.

which can result in a plant that will die or not thrive under less than ideal conditions. just keep it alive and perhaps it will eventually gather some strength and do better. or not - a lot of them just die.

sorry about that . . .

joytohave

Dillbert wrote:rather a lot of those mini-roses are especially grown for Feb 14 - lots and lots of TLC followed by brutal 'forcing' to ensure they've got buds on precisely the right day.

which can result in a plant that will die or not thrive under less than ideal conditions. just keep it alive and perhaps it will eventually gather some strength and do better. or not - a lot of them just die.

sorry about that . . .
The good thing is it is getting a lot of new growth so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

At some point, you will need to separate out the 6 little plants into their own pots. The sellers crowd them in like that to make it look like a full, bushy plant. But they will compete with each other for water/ nutrients and keep each other from doing well.

joytohave

rainbowgardener wrote:At some point, you will need to separate out the 6 little plants into their own pots. The sellers crowd them in like that to make it look like a full, bushy plant. But they will compete with each other for water/ nutrients and keep each other from doing well.
I got some fertilizer spikes so they each get a little help.I plan on separating them as they get a little bigger.They are looking healthy so far. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”