lisax4156
Newly Registered

My Poor Mini Roses :(

Hi all

My fiance got me a mini rose bush for my birthday a month ago from 1800 Flowers. It was beautiful and in bloom when I got it. However, now it looks like it's been in a war zone. I know roses are easy to keep ... apparently not for me!

The bush started dying about 2 weeks ago. However, New leaf buds appeared and grew quickly. But, they soon died after coming in.

I don't know whats killing my roses, but I am sad because of it. I thought maybe my roses need repotting, due to them outgrowing the pot. I repotted them today in an 6" pot. They were in a 4" pot. I also fertilized them with a rose fertilizer, thinking they needed to be fertilized.

Whenever I put them in the sun, it makes them wilt and turn brown, like they're dying. And, they aren't in direct sunlight for very long, maybe an hour or so. The temps last week were in the low 70s, so it's not like it was very hot. They don't like the sun!!

Please help me get my roses back! Here's a picture of them. They're looking pathetic. I did trim the dead sticks. If you look closely, you can see the dead new growth. It looks like my roses have a stunted growth or something..

[img][img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/LisaX4156/213041fe.jpg[/img][/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, they do like the sun. :)

Mini roses are like all other roses, and prefer to live outdoors. However, plants that one buys at the store are usually forced in a greenhouse, to make them bloom out of season. They aren't used to direct outdoor sunlight, so their leaves sunburn. First, place the plant outdoors in full shade. After a few days, move it to a place where it will get partial sun. Then, a few days later, move it to a spot where it gets mostly sun, but not in the heat of the day.

Until the temperatures get hot in your area, your rose will enjoy full sun after you've acclimated it. However, in the heat of the summer, you will want to keep it out of direct sun, except in the very early morning.

Be sure to water your rose after the soil dries a bit. When it's dry about 1" down below the surface, it's time to water it thoroughly again. :)

lisax4156
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Yes, they do like the sun. :)

Mini roses are like all other roses, and prefer to live outdoors. However, plants that one buys at the store are usually forced in a greenhouse, to make them bloom out of season. They aren't used to direct outdoor sunlight, so their leaves sunburn. First, place the plant outdoors in full shade. After a few days, move it to a place where it will get partial sun. Then, a few days later, move it to a spot where it gets mostly sun, but not in the heat of the day.

Until the temperatures get hot in your area, your rose will enjoy full sun after you've acclimated it. However, in the heat of the summer, you will want to keep it out of direct sun, except in the very early morning.

Be sure to water your rose after the soil dries a bit. When it's dry about 1" down below the surface, it's time to water it thoroughly again. :)
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the advice!

Well I left the plant outside today in the morning sun. It was ok today and didn't act like it was going to die! But, it wasn't that hot either... in the low 60s. Next week it's supposed to get into the mid 70s.

I know they're grown in a greenhouse and I guess I never took that into consideration! I should have figured they need to get acclimated! duh! I think it's just the shock from the different environment that's stressing my plant out.

I don't have direct sun for very long. My apt faces the east. I get it until later morning. I think my plant will do just fine once it gets used to the weather here!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think you're correct about the east exposure. The rose won't have trouble with the 70ºs or even higher temps, especially if you can give it midday and afternoon shade when the weather gets really hot, like up into the high 90ºs and above.

Roses do enjoy being outdoors. I lost many a mini rose before I finally figured that out. nutz:

Now I have a collection of them, each a different color of bloom. My yellow one even tried to become a full-sized rose bush. I think it's about 18" tall now. I believe it has stabilized at that height, though. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Since you're in Nevada :lol:, some of the discussion on miniature roses in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42588]this thread[/url] may be of interest/help to you. The OP also received a miniature rose recently as a gift and was concerned about keeping it alive (although he lives in Maine).

The later posts, however, relate to helping a miniature rose thrive. Maybe some of the info will be useful. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Rose Forum”