ga_2004
Newly Registered

new rose plant leaves turning yellow and fall

Hi all

I am new to this forum. Recently I bought a rose plant and a tomato plant. The rose plant full of buds, at the blooming stage. Some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I do not know what could be wrong. I have kept the plants indoors as out doors there is no place of direct sunlight. The window place recieves about 4 hrs of sunlight in the morning. I water the plant in the moirnings, until water goes clear it is around just 1 cup water since it is a very small pot. I see small ants crawling below the pots could this be the reason? I am not sure

I have the tomato plant next to it which also has few leaves turning yellow and falling, is it because both these plants have bought on saturday and is adjusting to new area????

Please advise
thanks
Ga

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Ga,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. It would be helpful to have more info but I have some ideas.
I water the plant in the moirnings, until water goes clear it is around just 1 cup water since it is a very small pot.
Sounds like you are watering too often if you are watering every day. You should water when the top of the soil is dry in a small pot. Your plants may also be rootbound and need larger pots.
...until water goes clear..
I think you mean until the water runs through the pots into a saucer. Then the water should be emptied from the saucer if it isn't absorbed in a few minutes.
The window place recieves about 4 hrs of sunlight in the morning.
That is not enough sun for either plant. They both need at least 6 hours of sun or more.

You don't say what type of rose you have purchased but I'm thinking it might be a miniature rose. Lots of them are sold as houseplants but they really don't do well indoors.

Check to see if the plants are rootbound and need larger pots. If you need to repot you can use a pot that is 2" larger. Here's what a rootbound plant looks like and how to repot.

[img]https://msucares.com/lawn/tree_diseases/images/rootball.gif[/img]

When you purchase potting soil look at the bag to see if it contains fertilizer. Try and get one that is organic potting soil. You should also use an organic fertilizer like fish emulsion. It smells bad when you open it but the smell goes away after you water your plants. Don't save any you haven't used. You can fertilize once a month in the fall and winter and every two weeks in the spring and summer.
I see small ants crawling below the pots could this be the reason?
I'm not sure. Are the ants crawling into the pots? Were they there before you brought home the plants? They could be attracted to the moisture if you are watering every day.

One last thought. You don't say where you live, but if the temps were near freezing when you brought the plants home, that could shock them and cause problems too. If the bottom leaves are the ones that are turning yellow then I suspect it's overwatering. Usually the older leaves will be effected first.

Newt

ga_2004
Newly Registered

Hi Newt,

Thanks for the quick response

I have stopped watering the plants to see if that helps.I do make sure to empty the saucers.

Do I have to wait until the soil is dry to water the plants?

the rose plant I don't see it is rooting out should I still repot it or addind fish emulsion will be fine?

where do I stay
I stay in singapore where the weather is humid and 24-32C

I stay in an apartment where the area to keep pots outside there is no much sunlight so I decided to keep indoors where the window sill recieves maximum sunlight is hot until afternoon 12.

one more question I bought the tomato plant thinking it was cherry tomatoes but ended up it is not. Do you have any idea of what plant is this. the fruit is tasteless only seeds

I have to repot this plant as it is rooting out

thanks

Ga

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Ga,

I can't see your pictures because it says I need a password or I have to join. Try posting them here. photobucket.com
Do I have to wait until the soil is dry to water the plants?
When the top 3 cm of soil is dry you should water. Stick your finger in to your first knuckle to see if it has dried.
the rose plant I don't see it is rooting out should I still repot it or addind fish emulsion will be fine?
If it is not rootbound like in the picture then DO NOT repot it. You don't say when you purchased the plants, but you should not have to fertilize for at least a month.

Please repost your pictures.
Newt

ga_2004
Newly Registered

Hi Newt,

Thanks for the patience to reply me

I purchased the plants last week saturday.

just 2 days after I brought them I saw the signs of yellow leaves

As you said the leaves are turning yellow at the bottom controlling the water should help I suppose.

I just want to save this little plant that I treasure to own

thanks
Ga

Newt
Greener Thumb

Ga, you are very welcome. I'm not sure what the 'tomato' plant is, but it is not a tomato. I will try and find out what it is for you.

I think the yellowing of the older leaves is from too much water or the rose needs a new pot. Gently take it out of the pot to see if the roots are in a tight ball like in the picture I gave you.

The fish emulsion fertilizer would be good for both plants, but it would be best to wait at least 3 more weeks. When you repot use a pot that is 5cm larger.

Newt

Newt
Greener Thumb

Ga, your plant with the yellow fruit is a Jerusalem Cherry. It could be Solanum capsicastrum or Solanum pseudocapsicum. The seeds are poison so do not eat them and keep away from children and pets. The light conditions you have are good for them. Here's some interesting info on them.

Newt

ga_2004
Newly Registered

Hi Newt,

thanks for the information about the plant especially alerting me of the poisonous seeds

I waited now for 2 days before it got dry to water the rose plant.

Weekend I will check on the roots and see whether repot is to be done.

Have a nice weekend!

Ga

Newt
Greener Thumb

Ga, you are very welcome! Have a wonderful weekend.

Newt

mercy7216
Newly Registered

I bought 2 pots with 5 roses each in them. The tag says they are Rose 'Emerald Patio Hi??' PNG. They don't seem particularly root bound. They had several buds when I bought them, but they have turned brown and fallen off. Now more and more leaves are turning yellow.

I have them inside for now, and they get only indirect light through a window. Should I put them outside? What is meant exactly by direct sun? If I put them in my front yard, the sun shines directly on them until the sun goes behind my house, which faces east.

Should I plant them outside in the ground, or in pots? If pots, how big and for how long? The plants are all about 6" hight, except one is about 7". How soon should I transplant them? Are they suffering from being overcrowded?

I may be watering them too much, or too irregularly. The dirt in the pots seems to dry out quickly.

I found spider (?) webs on them today. I don't see any bugs.

I'd really like to save these little plants. Please help! Thanks. :(

JPIXI

Hello Mercy,

Roses need direct sunlight for at least 6 hours per day. Just remember not to water them during mid day when the sunlight is at its fullest and never wet their feuillage unless you are spraying feuillage feed during early morning or after sunset.

I believe that your roses are miniatures? Miniatures are believed to be hardy even personally I have absolute no experience of it.

As you have mentioned, the dirt is dried, I assume that the soil's nutrient is totally drain off. This is why it can no longer hold moisture and provide benefits to the plant. Your immediate remedy is to replace the soil. If you are novice in rose, the easiest solution is to purchase soil mixture for roses and plant them outdoor. Roses are not indoor plants.

Lastly, never purchase any plant from big distribution as they tend to obtain their stock from certain flora distributions that produce luscious plants grown in intensive chemical environment to push growth. We home grower are unable to sustain these plants adapted needs and they eventually die off.

Good luck Mercy.

Amitié,
Pixi

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Mercy,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. Pixie's advice is always worth following.

It does sound like your roses are rootbound and either need to be planted in the garden or repotted into pots 2" larger. I've found that your rose is a miniature rose of the Patiohit series potted rose called Emerald Patiohit.
https://www.yoder.com/grower/potroses/variety/Product_Results.asp?ID=3993&sPageName=recommendedvarieties
https://www.yoder.com/grower/pot%20crops/Pot%20Roses.pdf

Here's how to grow these roses. If you scroll down you will see they can be planted in the garden.
https://www.yoder.com/grower/potroses/tips/06238_ts1.pdf

I'm sure the webs you see are from spider mites. You will need to spray with an insecticidal soap every few days. You can purchase it or make your own. Just don't use detergent, but do use soap. Here's how.
https://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/outdoors/194

Newt

mercy7216
Newly Registered

Thanks to Pixi for the helpful suggestions, and thanks to Newt for the positive ID, helpful suggestions, and links.

All things considered, though, I think I'm just going to take them back to WalMart (one of the large distribution centers Pixi mentioned) and get my money back. I don't have room to plant 10 roses, since they need to be 9-12" apart. That's about 4x3 feet in area, and I just don't have it.

Thanks again for the excellent advice! This forum is the only place I've been able to find any good, specific information. I'm going to do a new post to get some information about the regular roses that I have.

Blessings,
Martha

Newt
Greener Thumb

Martha, you are so very welcome! I'm glad we were able to help you. Have you decided what you will replace the roses with?

Newt

mercy7216
Newly Registered

Hi, Newt -

Thanks for asking! I have one spot available in my rose garden. Publix has some orange roses on sale for about the same price as the Patiohit roses, so I'll probably get one of those. I don't know what variety they are.

Martha

Newt
Greener Thumb

Martha, do try and get a name for them so you'll know how to prune them and how large they will get.

Newt

debra_ehu
Newly Registered

Hello, my name is Debra, I was born and raised in Hawaii. I am a single mom of 4, and I am disabled. I recently started a vegetable garden, I have green beans growing, but I have a Q, there are a few that are ready to be harvested, but there are a lot more that are way to young to pick, do I go ahead ad pick the ones that are ready? I also started to grow cucumbers, all I got is little "wanna be" cucumbers, and a lot of green, yellow and brown bugs that look like baby ticks all over the leaves. I ended up pulling the plant out, and I have started to grow more, but in doors. {for now}. did I do the right thing? do you have any answers? what can I do? One more thing, I want to grow a small fruit tree in my back yard, do you have any ideas? Much Aloha, Debra

Return to “Rose Forum”