OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Where Do I Cut My Roses to Replant Them?

I Have some Rose Plants, they are growing like they on steroids after adding Magic Grow, Now I Seen People cut a rose stem out of a bush and Plant that, Now Where Do I cut the Stem to Replant it???

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This is a skill that is best *shown* rather than *described,* since terms like "growth node" or "bud swelling" can be baffling to a new gardener.

The American Rose Society has a series of [url=https://www.ars.org/?page_id=1319]helpful videos[/url], among them one on pruning roses. I've given you the link to the master video index in case other ARS videos are also of interest to you.

And, OROZCONLECHE (ARROZ?), I've been looking for a few brain cells this week and have finally found them so that I can let you know about the Sunset Western Garden Book. This book has a good section for new gardeners ("Practical Guide to Gardening"), photographs of different special plants ("Plants for Shade," "Plants for Direct Sun," etc.), and an encyclopedia of which plants need to be planted where to succeed.

But the most valuable feature of the Sunset Western Garden Book is the Sunset climate-zone system. THIS is what will let you know what will grow in Ontario, CA. Your Sunset climate zone is the key to:

--Which fruit trees will do well where I live?
--Which varieties of which veggies should I plant, and when?
--How long can I expect to harvest xxx from my garden each year?

It will give you a background of information and help quell the panicked, "Oh, no! Something *else* to learn!" because, as you browse through the "Practical Guide" and the other sections, information will as a matter of course be presented to you in a friendly, informative way. Information which you may not even know you need yet. That way, you'll have it handy when you do need it and can ask questions with more comfort in your on-line "voice."

Also, something I haven't seen anyone put your mind at ease about (although, of course, I could have missed such posts) is that gardening is a continuing learning experience. Yes, there is so MUCH to learn when just starting out that it seems one will never get ahold of enough to carry on, but even with over 20 years of experience, I still learn TONS from this forum and from Mother Nature every time I go outside.

Thomas Jefferson, who lived into his 80s (?) and was a lifelong--"gardener" doesn't do him justice--botanist is more like it, had a quote which I used for my second-year signature here at THG: "Although I am an old man, I am but a young gardener."

Happy gardening! And please do enjoy gardening; the Sunset book absolutely saved me when I moved to the Bay Area from Atlanta, which has a four-season climate. The Bay Area was so different that I had no idea which end was up until I found the Sunset book.

Hope it helps you as much as it helped me. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thanks both of you I am taking most my time in the sites you both gave me, I'm trying to learn as much as I can

Return to “Rose Forum”