mootpoint
Newly Registered

What is the Lifespan of a Rose?

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I am currently working on a literary piece and I was wondering what the lifespan of a typical rose might be. In particular a common rose purchased at a grocery store. How old are they when cut and delivered and how long do they last after delivery? What would thier lifespan have been on a bush?

Thank you for your help regarding this!

-Bruce

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I can't give you an answer to the question myself but, I can direct you to a place where they would be able to give you an answer. First of all, you should just be able to ask the nursery staff how old the cuttings are and they would or at leat should be able to tell you how long the roses should live.

mootpoint
Newly Registered

Thank you very kindy! :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Roses as individual plants can be very old (centuries) if treated well. Doesn't happen very often though...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome. I think the email address for the Herbarium at UVIC was: herbarium@uvic.ca or something very close to that. (Just in case you are having trouble finding the Herbarium from the homepage)

The prof who runs the herbarium is Dr. Geraldine Allen but, it will most likely be a grad student or some other person who will answer your email.

Return to “Rose Forum”