deblindsay
Newly Registered

Rose trees winterization

Hello;
I am wondering if you have ever tried to winterize rose trees by growing them in a container and then wrapping them with straw and a burlap or some kind of blanket then putting the tree in a shed or shelter of come kind to keep the snow off of them and giving them a little bit of shelter from the freezing tempatures?

I live in North Eastern Utah at the foot of the Uintah mountain range. Our normal winter tempatures can get as low as -20. Some times they can be as low as -35 degrees. I have grown these trees for a year now and the tag does say they are good for zones 4-11. I am just wondering if I would be safe to leave them in the container I planted them in, and move them in my garden shed with the straw and blanket around them?

I have tried the traditional winterizing but they all froze. So I was hoping to find a different way of winterizing them.

Any advice would be most helpful. Thank you very much.

BostonianChick

Hey deblindsay!

I suggest before you do all that to plant them in a little bigger of a pot. This will prevent it from getting root bound. It will also allow the plant to get bigger. The soil will also act as a insulator for the roots from the cold. When you wrap the plant in the burlap or straw make sure you have no open spots in it because even the slightest opening could leave it open to freeze. Putting them in the shed is a good idea to get them ready for the next winter where they will be in the ground. But make sure the next year you just wrap the burlap around it again to shelter it from the freezing winds. I hope this helps!

webmaster
Site Admin

In case you missed it, one of our former moderators wrote three detailed articles on [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1122]how to care for roses over winter[/url].

deblindsay
Newly Registered

Thanks for all your advise. I will try your suggestions and th others from the articles that have been written previously. I am looking forward to another growing season. Winter comes way to early here for me. I love to garden and work in my yard. Just wish I could do it year round and still live where I do. Oh well, got to let the plants have a break at some point.

Thanks again!
Deb

Return to “Rose Forum”