maryjane14
Newly Registered

Roses in zone4 in Shade

New to forum. Does anyone have experience growing roses in z4 in 'open shade' with about 3 hrs. am sun? I am looking for Cane Hardy shrub roses that blooms through summer. Any ideas? Any info on 'Knockout" roses or "Belle Poitevine', rugosa. Any color but White. Know there are few, if any z4 Roses tolerating this much shade - will appeciate any help. Also looking for a real 'Red" Climbing rose (for Sun) that is cane hardy in z4 that blooms through the summer. Thinking of 'Quadra" or 'Ramblin'Red' - anyone grow these or others? Will really appreciate any help and ideas. Thanks. maryjane14

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Roses and shade just don't mix well; pick one and the other just isn't a great choice. One of the better rosees for shade did make your list; not sure about the hardiness, but 'Knockout is as shade tolerant as any I've seen. Look for Pink and Double Knockout this year as well; not having grown them I can't vouch whether they are as suitable for shade but the parent sure is a good plant. Training a rose up into a tree might allow for roses in that shaded area; try 'Zephrine Drouhin' as it takes a bit more shade, but check the hardiness...

Scott

maryjane14
Newly Registered

To: Mod; Thanks for your reply. Some say 'Knockout' will die to ground in winter in z4 and there have been reports of powdery mildew & black spot in some regions.
Can't use a climer in this 'open shade' area - it's in front of the house on both sides of a walkway, so I need a shrub rose, cane hardy to z4 that will bloom most of the summer in 'open shade' - probably impossible! Thanks again. maryjane14

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Try looking for a native like pasture rose or swamp rose (virtually unheard of in the trade, but specialty places might carry it).

The only other I could think of would be that English invader, R. multiflora, but it is a Federally listed invasive, so I couldn't recommend it at ALL...

Scott

maryjane14
Newly Registered

To: Mod; Thanks for the timely reply. No, I don't plant anything invasive either. I'll keep looking or maybe go with a shrub. Thanks for trying to think of something for me. maryjane

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No problemo

El Buen Jardinero

Return to “Rose Forum”