Vieves
Newly Registered

Help?

Hi. I'm brand new to this tie. My husband has bought a rose "tree" a bush trimmed into a sinlge stalk with branches and what were flowers growing off of that. It had some mottled growth on it when we bought it and since then, 2 months, ago it has not done well at all. I don't know how to care for roses at all. I water my plants when I think about it to be honest. :oops: I am not able to check to see if it's dry due to the layer of mulch covering the soil. It's no longer blooming.
What am I supposed to be doing with it? :?[/img]

Hortman

Hello Vieves. Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place.
Your tree rose has probably not been flowering because your watering has
not been consistent. Set up a watering schedule where you water on the same
day all the time. Roses need consistent regular water. Since you live in NH and
don't get a long period of heat; I think a good soaking 3 times a week would work.
Make sure that the mulch is not touching the trunk. Keep it a few inches away.
Check to see that the crown of the plant (that transition zone between the trunk
and the roots) is not buried. That would stress the plant out. It needs to breathe.
Make sure you can see the flare in the trunk. If not seen, then replant higher.
Also, check out the Sticky on organic rose care at the top of the rose forum.
Good luck and take care.

dbang10

I agree Sticky on organic rose care is a good place to get some good nutrition fact for roses. Also without seeing it or knowing what the name of the rose is, it is a little difficult to know but there is a small chance that they grafted a once bloomer on to the tree rose. You may only get one flush of blooms on that type of rose each year.

Return to “Rose Forum”