Queenie26

planning to plant roses but...

I don't know what kind of roses to plant, is it okay if I start with seeds? Any advice?

teachermom1

As for the type, there are so many kinds, and it totally depends on what you like. Roses like plenty of sun and need about an inch of water per week when full grown. Since you have no cold period for the roses to go dormant, you will need to fertilize them a lot. And mulching them to help keep the roots cool is also something to think about.

You can plant with rose seeds, if you can get them. Or you can try to root cuttings if you can get those. Around here seeds are hard to find for purchase, you are much better off if you know someone with rose bushes who will let their roses set hips so you can collect the seed, or if you can find someone on the forums willing to trade. I may have some that I would be very happy to share in a couple months. You should know that many roses are hybrids, and the seedlings probably won't look like the parents.

To germinate the seeds, you will need to give them a cold period. Several weeks up to 3 or 4 months is recommended. You can do this with a refridgerator. If you search the internet for how to stratify rose seeds, you should find lots of info.

Once you have given them a cold treatment, you should be able to start your seeds. You may want to keep them indoors until they are big enough to handle outside sun exposure. I don't know what you can find out about how best to raise the seedlings in your climate, but hopefully someone can help you with that better than I can.

Good luck!!
Lin

Queenie26

Oh thank you so much for the advice..looks like I'll be having a hard time looking for rose seeds here, I'll just order online if I can't get any from here. I like those hybrids I saw online, I'll just try to find that here. I heard roses are really sensitive when it comes to hybrids, they prefer not to be touched always for they might die, is that true? Is there a blue rose?

heretolearn
Newly Registered

Teachermom1 - what a great response, answered a couple questions I had as well! Thanks

teachermom1

I'm glad I could give you some useful info :D

Queenie, as far as I know, there are no true blue roses. I know some sites on the internet have them offered, but I would be very leery. I know there is at least one person selling rose seeds and sending something completely different. This person often advertises blue roses and the purple/white striped ones called Black Dragon. I read in some reviews that the seeds were actually weeds and radishes. So if you can find someone willing to trade from their roses, I would highly recommend that over internet sellers, unless it is an established seed company/nursery. Good luck!!

Also, one variety you might look into are the Knockout Roses. I would do some research into their specific needs, but they seem to be capable of thriving in even the worst conditions!

AbbyNY
Newly Registered

Its not exactly blue but "Blue Nile" is a hybrid tea hose that will grow to about 3 feet tall. It's flowers are a purplish blue. Not sure if its easy to find or if it would grow in your area. Your best bet for finding a rose in a blue shade is to research different types of modern hybrid roses.
As above, knock out roses are extremely easy to grow and need little care. Also old garden varieties of roses are easier to grow than many of the moderns, like the hybrid teas.

rosydreamer82
Newly Registered

Teachermom1: would you be willing to share some of your Roses with me? I am finding nearly impossible to find Black Dragon Roses near me.

rosydreamer82
Newly Registered

I am trying to find better growing info for Black Dragon Roses for here in Missouri. I live in Northeast Missouri and am in love with roses! I've seen some thrive and some fall and was just wondering if the Black Dragon Roses would thrive here.

imafan26
Mod

Roses are not easy to grow from seed especially in the tropics.

You can grow them from cuttings if you can find someone to give them to you.
The best roses for warm humid climates will have glossy leaves. Matte leaves usually have more mildew and blackspot issues as well as canker problems. Roses that grow on their own roots usually are stronger and grow better from cuttings. The roses that are bullet proof for me has been green rose (specialty novelty rose. It isn't very pretty. ), red cascade (rambler), baby blanket (landscape rose with nice pink blooms), iceberg- I don't particularly like this rose but it has the highest rating and it is a prolific bloomer. The best tea roses were Mr. Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth, Proud Land, and Peace. Roses in the tropics need to be sprayed regularly with fungicides because of the humidity. I plant my roses near the street lights and that keeps the Chinese rose beetles away. They are heavy feeders so they need regular applications of fertilizer after each bloom cycle and regular pruning to maintain the flower size and keep the bushes open. You will have to do pest control since everything loves to eat it.

Return to “Rose Forum”