jane
Newly Registered

miniture rose pruning

New member here. I was given a Orange Kordana about a month ago. I keep it on my kitchen counter in its original plastic pot and wrapping paper. So far the blooms on it have fallen off without shriveling up, they just fell off in mid bloom. I trimmed off all the dead leaves and twigs and put the plant under a floresant light. I water it once a week with African Violet food letting the pot soak for 15 minutes (I heard that it is bad to water the leaves because it will promt fungus growth?) So far its growing...alot. My question is: do I trim it back? I want it to produce more flowers but I'm afraid too much energy is going to the branches and leaf growth. Plus I want the plant to look more bushey instead of tall and spindely. Also, is it alright to continue feeding it African Violet food or have I just been lucky so far with the results? Thanks for your help.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Jane,

From what I'm reading about this rose, it tends to grow large for a miniature. Miniature roses don't require much pruning, just for shape. After a cane is finished flowering you should prune to a new outward facing bud. You can prune shoots that emerge from the soil or leave them to grow. If you find they are too spindly you can prune the entire plant by about one third. They might be reaching for the light and that could cause them to become spindly.

I suspect that your rose flowers were either finished blooming or possibly fell due to climate change when you brought the plant home. Overwatering, underwatering or being rootbound can cause this too. Look at the bottom drainage holes to see if you see roots there. If not, gently remove the plant from it's pot to see if it needs a new pot 2" larger.

I would suggest you remove the wrapping paper and use some type of saucer so you can better see if the plant is standing in water. Water when the top inch of soil is dry. You can insert your finger to the first knuckle. Don't let the soil dry completely.

As to the fertilizer you are using, it would depend on what is in it. Generally a well rounded 20-20-20 is good. Use at half strength. I prefer organic fertilizers such as fish emulsion or fish emulsion mixed with sea kelp. Careful when you open the bottle as the smell is quite strong. It will dissapate in the water.

You should find this helpful.
https://www.johnsminiatureroses.com/info.html

Newt

jane
Newly Registered

Thank you Newt for your quick reply. This information is very helpful to me in maintaining my new Kordana. I appreciate your help and will follow your advice. Thanks, Jane

Newt
Greener Thumb

Jane, you are so very welcome!

Newt

Return to “Rose Forum”