redvan
Newly Registered

Dr Huey

Some time back, I discovered that a bush in my yard is a Dr Huey. It has bloomed now, which was quite nice, tons of roses. It was suggested that I trim it back after it blooms to get more blooms and keep it under control.

How do I do this?
Should I look for certain unions, groups of leaves, ,etc....?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Look for a dormant eye in once-blooming Dr. Huey. You can cut at a 45 degree angle about 1/4" above a dormant eye:

[img]https://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/images/prune.jpg[/img]

redvan
Newly Registered

Ok, after watching that video, I'm not sure I have a Dr Huey!

My plant is more of a bush, although it does send out long main canes straight up that eventually arc over. I do not see lateral canes as depicted in the video on these long main canes, they just seem to never stop growing in length.

Occasionally, I see what I would call a 'lateral' cane branching off a main cane, or is it just a branch, I do not know.

I now have no idea what I got which means I cannot care for it or prune it properly.

I'm getting ready to dig the thing out and let the raspberries take over!!!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

When you do not know what type of rose you have, the safest thing to do is to prune it after the Spring Flush is done. It is probably ok to prune it now. Not knowing which one you have, I would try to finish pruning by the end of July. I could give you links that discuss this subject but they assume that you know what type of rose you have. This one is more general so I hope it helps you (courtesy of the American Rose Society):

https://www.ars.org/?page_id=3166

redvan
Newly Registered

After looking through the Rose forum, I came across a posting with this link;
https://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=5977

This gave me the idea that I have rambling roses, a variety of climbing rose. The description is very similar to what I have.

My plant is very big and bushy (probably due to over growth and no pruning) with very long long canes (I have one right now that is scaring me because it is 5 feet over my head (I'm 6'4") and arcs over to one side, in total, it's probably about 30 feet in length, just one long cane, no laterals.) The entire bush is just long arching canes! I though it was a climber (Dr Huey) so I was trying to route the canes along my fence. The article states that the canes can grow as much as 20' in a single season. The article also stated that the blooms are in dense small clusters on long vigorous canes.

This is my bush, long canes with dense clusters of small pink flowers.

I have sprawling raspberries in front of this bush, which are probably cutting off all air flow, which is what led to the bush contracting black spot no doubt. It's losing leaves at a frighting rate due to this disease.

Now I just have to figure out what to do next!

Do I follow the pruning and grooming tips in this article and try to get it back in shape while cutting out the diseased canes or cut it all down and hope for the best, then start grooming and pruning as needed next spring to bring it back into shape?

Red.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

You can follow their suggestions but... what diseased canes are you planing to cut???? The only reference I read about diseases was to blackspot. What disease were you referring to that needs cutting canes?

redvan
Newly Registered

Sorry, I wasn't implying that I had diseased canes, just a lot of black spot (and according to the article, these leaves should be removed as well as any on the ground in an effort to prevent future recurrence). BUT in an effort to get the plant back under control, several canes need to be removed, to get it back in shape.

Return to “Rose Forum”