lululovesu

Ugly Rose Bush Base

Right now I am just wondering about some rose bushes. They seem to be fairly old or perhaps never quite taken care of right (no idea), but the base of the bushes are quite wide and over half dead. I only have certain spots on the bushes that are producing shoots. Am I stuck with the whole base? They are taking up room and look ugly. I think I figured out why some of my bushes are dying. Rye grass has creeped into a section and the huge bushes are only half alive. I have taken out SO MANY dead branches fat and skinny. I have been digging up grass roots that are surrounding the front and sides of the bushes (just hoping that some of these are not new small roots from the rose bush) UGH HELP!

lululovesu

Oops. Forgot about that. I live in Utah. Approx 5500' . The two rose bushes that are really dying are the ones with the grass, and the grass roots are terrible. I am ripping it all up with a shovel and my hands. One is fully dead I figured out, there is a stupid tree growing right in the roots with it. If I really wanted this tree where I thought I could use it, I am sure it wouldn't grow! My husband cut it down last year, but apparently did not uproot it because you can see the part where he cut it down, and it took off with a new shoot. I want to plant some companion plants with these roses, but I have to loosen the soil. I want to put parsley, cilantro and some marigolds, and some garlic or scallions. I have read these are ok with roses. Any experiences?

lululovesu

ALSO...can I cover these bases with some dirt or mulch? I should take a picture and show how bare and wide they are.

lululovesu

OK...How do I post pictures?

lululovesu

Thanks!

[img]https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/lululovesu/204.jpg[/img]
Hole where bush and tree were - the yellow one is the only one that is decent.

[img]https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/lululovesu/205.jpg[/img]
Base

[img]https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/lululovesu/206.jpg[/img]
Base - only covered in dirt from digging next to it

[img]https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/lululovesu/207.jpg[/img]
The other one almost dead where most of grass was

[img]https://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/lululovesu/209.jpg[/img]
Dead bush and yanked tree

lululovesu

Really? Oh Good = ) So I need to cut the dead stalks (canes I guess is the proper term?) down to the base, put my dirt back in my gaping hole and not cover the bases with any dirt, and give them all good soak with water? Can I go ahead and plant some companion plants? I was also thinking of putting a new rose bush in the open spot - should it be ok? Thank You so much!

lululovesu

Shoot...forgot to ask the best way to cut the brown/dead ones down to the base?

lululovesu

Oooo. I hate to bombard you with so many questions, but now I have a problem. The trees...yes I said trees. There was another one. There is still a root that runs deep and under the cement and into the grass in front of the roses and a root from the other tree runs right under another rose bush. How can I fix this? I have had enough and would like to get on with making it beautiful. = ( Amongst other things I need to get started in the backyard! but that's another story.

lululovesu

Thank you. Today it is barely 50 degrees. Sounds pretty fall - ish to me!! = )

So if I leave part of the root in the ground, it's not going to continue to grow and try and put more shoots out? The thing is like 2 1/2" - 3" in diameter where I can get to it. I got all scratched up yesterday digging out that other root and trying to get to the rest of the one from the other day - and now I have a fat thumb - hopefully with all of this learning it'll get green = )

Moley
Cool Member

lululovesu wrote:Thank you. Today it is barely 50 degrees. Sounds pretty fall - ish to me!! = )
and now I have a fat thumb - hopefully with all of this learning it'll get green = )
If it turns black, you've won, seek medical attention

lululovesu

= ) I'm sure hoping you mean if the root turns black (and not my thumb), I have won, and to seek medical attention on my thumb. I guess I should be more careful. My thumb doesn't hurt near as much as my knuckle did the other day; it isn't as red either. I just went and read "horror" stories on rose bush pricks.

Return to “Rose Forum”