kevinschoppe
Cool Member

One Year Later - Variegata di Bologna Rose Not Producing

So it has been one year or maybe 16 months, since I have planted the Variegata di Bologna Rose. It's grown very well, lots of green growth, and lots of shoots and stalks, but no flowers.

I wonder what gives? The Broadway & Gernada Rose next to it are doing very well, blooming. The entire rose bed, Love & Peace, Tropical Sunset, Broadway, Chryisal Imperial, Cherry Parfiet, Climbing America, Rio Samba, are all doing well.

I have tried tinkering with the soil combinates to give it food that will stimulate flowers production, while maintaing the root & leave production.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Variegata di Bologna Rose?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Kevin, I don't grow this rose, but Variegata di Bologna Rose generally blooms once a year in the spring. Maybe it wasn't established enough last spring to bloom. Hopefully it will bloom for you next spring.

Newt

lefty317

I don't grow this one either, but while all the others you listed are modern roses, this one is an old bourbon rose, however with a very sparse repeat bloom. many "once bloomers" only bloom on last years canes. if pruned in the spring, they will spend all year making new wood. :cry: I would suggest letting it go unpruned, then if it flowers any pruning should be right after the blossoms drop. once it gets kicking, it should be gorgeous.... :lol:

chris

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

When would you prune this rose back?

I was thinking Valentinces day like the more moderen roses. Any Thoughts?

Thanks for the advise Chris, I too have many roses. I will have to update my website with them. I have a lot of roses too.

I planted this rose about 16 months ago, this past year we have seen a lot of growth, and new buds, but not flowers. I am eager to hear your thoughts.

Thanks-
Kevin
"Young one in Texas" 26

lefty317

kevin.

I think I might leave this one alone, as it may grow differently. some OGR's (old garden roses) bloom only on the canes grown the previous year. they are meant to be pruned either not at all, or just after they have finished blooming if they need to be contained. this gives them the balance of the summer to make new wood for next years growth. while most bourbons will repeat, according to my research and as newt said, this one barely repeats at all. lets leave it be for a while, and in the spring when you prune your moderns, just remove the dead, deseased, and damaged canes.

as an aside, I wouldn't do any fertilizing now either, even in your temperate climate, roses benefit from a dormancy period. it gives them a chance to rest up... wait intil spring, and then watch that N-P-K ratio. too much nitrogen will cause anything from a rose to a tomato to put the bulk of it's energy into growing stems and leaves as opposed to blossoms.

chris

Return to “Rose Forum”